Interesting Times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
My house goes on the market this week...

...this means that several things *could* happen if all goes according to plan.

Bad first:
1) The Tiny Kitchen BIAB Brewers Guide probably won't ever get written
2) The Tiny Kitchen Proper AG Brewers Guide probably won't ever get written

Good next:
1) I'll have the opportunity to get some "man space". Think *big* shed.
2) Having man space can mean only one thing. Brewery. Aided of course by the fortuitous happenstance of realising that Rob @ The Malt Miller is just down the road from my work...
3) Two things. Beer storage.
4) Three things. Expansion into proper nano-brewery territory. Let the pot see the shiny!
5) Oooh, and a garden, barbeques to aid the consumption of output!

I should probably be more excited about another rung on the property ladder and providing a better living space for my family shouldn't I??? Or is it normal to think beer-first at this stage? :D

Calum

Too right a man needs space to brew and just get away, I have the wife and two daughters and am totally outnumbered.
So these things need to be done.
Our house is currently on the market, a garage goes without saying for brewing. I would also like space in the garden to build a wood fired oven for pizzas and cooking meat beautifully.
Although I don't think a move to the med is on the cards for the weather too. :thumb:

Calum

In exactly the same position as you, house went on the market today, downsizing from 4 bedrooms to 2, dont want the sprogs coming back now do we

At the moment my brewing is done in a single car garage with dispensing done in the back garden with various barbeque set ups and a Gamko Keg cooler

Found a 2 bedroom cottage with a double garage and large garden - result!!

Chris

Hi Calum,

I was looking at putting an offer in on a bigger house with a cracking garden today, I had plans for apple trees(cider), hops(beer), grapes etc. Even had a green house.
The garage is a double integral so great for the brewery and enough room in the utility room for a kegorator.

The offer I was going to put on was very reasonable according to 2 different estate agents, the owner wouldn't drop by a penny so no offer. Am totally gutted.

Oh and it was great for the kids!

All the best for the move.

Phil

Cheers guys.

I'm already thinking...

...I'm going to need some shiny stuff, a coolbox, a brew cupboard... Hmmmm... has anyone dismantled a fridge and built their own brew cupboard with the bits?

S-S-S-S-T-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-P!!!!!!!!

Gotta keep the feet on the ground for now... :D

I wish you all the luck in the world chaps. I really really do mean that. I put my bungalow on the market 3 1/2 years ago. Sold it in January. I would advise you to sell move into rented then buy. I had 4 sales fall through. It has been an absolute nightmare. I hope to move into my new house early next month. I will never ever move house again. If im not happy living in the new house I would sooner top myself than go through the nightmare of the last 3 1/2 years. Not that im bitter or anything like that :rofl:

chrisp said:
...... In exactly the same position as you, house went on the market today, downsizing from 4 bedrooms to 2, dont want the sprogs coming back now do we

:D we did exactly the same when ours left and went to uni, while they were there we went from a very big 4 bedroom property to a 3 bedroom bungalow, the third bedroom was instantly conveted to a study ;) the garage has a nice big workshop attached to it so lots of brewing room :thumb:

Kids took the hint, we now live in a small village, nothing for them here so ones in Australia the other in Edinburgh :thumb: daftest part is we hear more regularly from Oz with emails and Skype from her than we used to when she was at Uni :roll:

Good luck with your searches and move :thumb:

snail59 said:
I wish you all the luck in the world chaps. I really really do mean that. I put my bungalow on the market 3 1/2 years ago. Sold it in January.

Of all the times you could put a house on the market!!! We bought ours brand spanky 4 1/2 years ago - just when they couldn't get any more expensive! Then watched the 000's drop off almost day by day. Not a great feeling.

Baz Chaz said:
chrisp said:
...... In exactly the same position as you, house went on the market today, downsizing from 4 bedrooms to 2, dont want the sprogs coming back now do we

:D we did exactly the same when ours left and went to uni, while they were there we went from a very big 4 bedroom property to a 3 bedroom bungalow,

Ah, the great circle of life! I'm on the start of the upsizing curve, scraping together deposits, playing the market as best you can, hoping like hell that the house you like doesn't get snapped up before you get yours sold and you chaps are off the other side and cruising... :D

calumscott said:
...... and you chaps are off the other side and cruising... :D

Thats a very appropriate turn of phrase as well :idea: not only did we downsize but we've started spending the kids inheritance :rofl:

We went on a cruise to the Baltic (St Petersburg) last year :cool: cruising the Norwegian coast round the Fjords this summer :cool: and just booked another for summer 2013 this morning :thumb: told the kids there's gonna be nowt left :!: no one gave us anything, all we have is what we've done ourselves, but they might get the bungalow between 'em ........... unless we've sold it and spent that as well :!:

Latest posts

Back