Is my elderflower champagne beyond help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a first-time brewer, long-time drinker. This is my very first attempt at home brewing.

I followed this http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...ngstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html, but I tripled all the measures. It didn't ferment on its own so some dried yeast was added after about 5 days (the type you bake bread with). Due to one this and another I forgot about the brew, and it's now been fermenting for two weeks.

I've just had a look at it and it's all frothy (and bubbling), though there are some mould colonies on top. It smells quiet good - elderflowery and a sharp acid tang.

What I'd like to know is, can I still bottle at this late stage? Will it fizzy up or remain flat. In short, should I bin it and start again?

Your help will be very welcome. Cheers,

mattyB

Don't talk to my wife about that recipe or she'll start spitting blood. "It no work", as some might say. She used stronger language and told me that the proportions were all wrong and whoever wrote the recipe evidently had not tried it. I didn't argue!

I'll try a different recipe next year, recommendations welcome!

The thing is it looks like I have fermentation going on, just wondering if I should bother bottling it or not.

have you checked the gravity of it mate, still maybe some sugars left in there and if not, you hay be able to 'prime' the bottles like with cider etc?

Please dont take my word on this tho as im still learning myself

Back