Is this normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tekka

Reaction score
Well my brews seeming to be going back over rather than improving!

Finally managed to get hold of the range new branded rose ( seems the same except its in a box ) Followed the instructions same as my last 3 brews that turned out fine, but i have an ice cream scum sat on the top after 8 days fermenting. The old brand had completely cleared at this stage. Is this normal?

ice-cream-jpg.20531

Attachments

• ice cream.jpg
    ice cream.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 462
Last edited by a moderator:
I have made many of the MYO Rose kits but have never seen one like that, does it smell OK?

They used to be Muntons kits i wonder if the re-brand also means a different supplier.

Hi chippy, yes it smells just like the old brand just this scum hasn't moved. i was thinking of stirring it in but i might just scoop it out with a spoon and rack into a clean vessel to degas. im not having much luck lol.

Interesting. No idea what an myo rose kit is- I imagine it's wine- but I recognise the scum: after too many generations of re-pitching the same yeast, it goes "slimy" like your photo. It doesn't do the beer any harm but it's just nasty. I scrape it off, let the beer work out and discard that strain.

It's the range stores make your own brand Rose wine kit (they also sell beer and cider kits) I would give it a stir.

I scooped out the scum layer, it was really thick, 2 hrs later another crust had started to form. racked to a clean vessel and degassed, will give it another 24hrs then add the stabilizer and finnings and hope for the best.

I wouldn't have removed it as when you degas it would have been stirred back into the wine (no racking is required with this kit) by taking it out you will have probably altered the finished wines taste.

Ohh great, looks like another disaster, third in a row :confused.:

Thanks for your help chippy.

Some of the supermarket juice wines throw up a huge amount of sediment i haven't seen a MYO Rose do that but this might be because the re-branded version is different to the original, i will soon be putting one on so will be able to compare.

Ohh great, looks like another disaster, third in a row :confused.:

Thanks for your help chippy.

Not necessarily a disaster. Chippy said it could change the taste but not whether that would be in a good or bad way! Could still turn out great.

I wouldn't throw it even if its a bit lacking in taste (and as you say it might be fine) worst case scenario add a little juice to the bottles just before drinking them.

Ah, just found this post after posting a similar question last night. I have the same issue but with the old style bag Red wine. I intend to scoop off as much as possible before degassing as I don't want to rack it

Back