I've fallen in love....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlorate

Reaction score
With citra hops!

Just cracked open my latest brew, been in bottles for 5 days so it's still pours like cold tea.

But blimy, it's a fruity hoppy explosion!

Quite similar to a Brew Dog Punk IPA I think.

For those interested:
2kg Maris otter
500g Crystal
1.5kg Light DME

Safale S04

100g Challenger - 60 minutes
100g EKG - 20 minutes
A good handful of Citra - 5 minutes, couple more handfuls after 4 days of fermenting, leave in FV for 2 weeks.

And a spoon of irish moss for clearing.

OG ~1050
FG ~1010

I seem to use a huge quantity of hops, I think this is down to my boiling method, adjust accordingly for what works for you :cheers:

Alex

Yeeah I definitely need to mend my technique sliiightly.

Although the flavour and bitterness are pretty much spot on, it is a touch expensive :twisted:

Chlorate said:
Yeeah I definitely need to mend my technique sliiightly.

Although the flavour and bitterness are pretty much spot on, it is a touch expensive :twisted:
I'm not sure why you use DME as you already have a large ish grain bill you may as well go full all grain , but if not do you know you can get 3kg of DME for £13 ive seen it on some online shop etc that should help get cost down

homebrew company ^

it pays to shop around. some shops charge 4 odd quid for 500g, ridiculous price! a brew boiler would pay for itself in one beer, hahah.

I'm heading there, I really need a bigger pot to go all grain.
I'm currently using a pot that holds about 10l and mashing in a nylon mesh bag, I split my ingredients down the middle, mash and boil twice. It works but takes ages and seems to need a huge amount of hops.

Regarding cost, I was referring to hops mainly, my local homebrew shop has quite reasonably priced DME, but getting through a couple of bags of hops per brew is the problem ;)

Although I do have a Challenger rhizome waiting to be planted :D

check out german ebay i had to bid for about 7 different attemps but got a 33L SS pot for 42 euro and 12 euro del cost cheapest price anywhere (even better than french ebay) plus if you hold out you will prob get cheaper than i did i just wanted 1 and finally put a high bid in (you may get bigger plus cheaper than i did) http://www.ebay.de/sch/catering-portal/m.html

I used citra for the first time in a brew that is just conditioning right now. Hope to be drinkng it in a week or two.

I started with Brewing in a bag in a pot the same size as yours and always added DME as you can't physically get enough grain in there to hit your gravity. I got a bigger 33L pot off a German firm on eBay and life has been much simpler since!!! I find it just the right size for my 19L brews.

Latest posts

Back