Jewelers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolix

Landlord.
Reaction score
The wife took her watch to the Jeweler yesterday as the winder crown had fallen off and gotten lost, the quote for replacement?

You had better sit down guys I did, literally..... £580. For this They would send to to Switerland and pelace the winder and send it back.

I could fly there myself, first class, and knock on the watch makers door, hand him the watch, stay the night in an hotel until the glue drys and fly back.

Needless to say we didn't part with our money, have seen the bit on ebay for £25 :shock:

Dennis you any good with watches? :whistle:

Wow thats a lot, although I must say I've never met a poor jeweler so I'm not that surprised! :lol:

Cononthebarber said:
Wow thats a lot, although I must say I've never met a poor jeweler so I'm not that surprised! :lol:

I'm certainly far from rich :(

late 60's Omega Dennis

omegawatch.jpg

I reckon they have factored in a service as well for that price, which to be honest is not a bad idea for that quality of watch. Is the crown gold or gold plated as that will make a difference. We don't service watches at our place but use a couple of watchmakers so could get it done at trade price, most shops will x3 the trade price. If it only needs a crown we may be able to get one and I could fit it. As for e-bay you would need to know the movement calibre No., again if you bought it that way I could fit it. Just let me know. :thumb:

The bit about sending it to Switzerland is b*llocks, Omega have a service centre near Southampton. I will make some enquires at work, send me a PM with your phone No. and I'll phone you in the week.

I've been in the watch collecting business for a few years now and the cost of service and repair can be insane. I'm slowly learning the art but there is still plenty I'm not up to. As far as vintage watches are concerned it's often worth a look at a company i have used. They have a good knowledge base and I'm sure they would help. I hope you already have it fixed by now though.

I used to be the head office workshop manager for a nationwide watch repair company with a team of Swiss trained watchmakers with Rolex and Omega accreditation. I still have a lot of contact with one of these watchmakers (he's a drinking buddy and we usually see each other at least once a week) and he now works for a highly respectable jeweller in Preston. I will happily pass on his details via PM if you like and there's one thing I can assure you of........you will have plenty of change back from £580 :D

prolix said:
late 60's Omega Dennis

omegawatch.jpg

That is a nice looking watch.

As Dennis says, it's worth having a service done on it now and then to keep a real quality item in good order.

Almost, but not quite, shocked at the price. I was in uni with a lad who's Dad was quite well off, went with him to the jeweler when he wanted one of his watches serviced, they quoted him £900 (late 1990s) and he simply left it with them!!!

My watch at the time was a Timex I'd had since I learnt to tell the time (it was my reward), even now I only wear a Casio as I have a bad habit of knackering the glass :(

Latest posts

Back