Just my luck !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
I have a brewery under the stairs and have made countless beers and wines in there and have never had a ferment so violent it blew the lid off the FV. it's a bit cold under the stairs this time of year so I moved my stout up into my baby boys bedroom where the heating stays on and what happens ??? pop trickle brown circle on beige carpet !!!
Note to self use a towel next time!
It must have been such a violent fermentation the snap on rim on the lid had inverted and the lid appeared distorted ? I don't use an airlock on beers anymore just snap a lid on and have always been fine.
what can cause the extra vigour could it be the temp? I did however brew a lager up there in the middle of summer and that was fine .

yeh the temp, but also stout is renowned for it, i just got a 33l bin for my next stout so i wont need to brew it short :)

Yeah coopers stour with 500g dark spray malt and 1 kg Demerara sugar
I've managed to clean it up now but I have learned my lesson

So as you've read I had a lively one it's got brown foam and froth sticking to the lid and under the rim should I re sterilise the lid it looks like a possible gateway for infection to me or would you wait till it's finished then transfer into a clean bin then ?

When I got my brewing kit I got a 33l fermenter so that I can experience the mighty coopers stout "Ditch" safely. Look forward to attempting it later on in the year

No need to do anything with it. You started off sanitised (you did the inside of the lid didn't you...) and stuff has only gone out of the FV. No route for anything to get in.

Basically just leave it alone, it's just dead yeast and malty sticky stuff that isn't going to come in contact with your beer. Trying to clean it is a bigger infection risk IMO.

Latest posts

Back