Carbonation temperature during this cold period - advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
So on Friday 2nd dec, I bottled my first brew finally 😀
For 2 days they had 20c temperature in my lounge for the carbonation stage and then for the next 12 days, they’ve been in a cupboard under my stairs which tends to be warm-ish with 2 woolly blankets over them also
Both of my boxes containing the bottles have lids and have thermometers inside so I’ll be able to check the highest and lowest temperatures in each

But…I’ve been on holiday for 2 weeks since bottling (returning 17/12 PM) during which time the temperature in the midlands where I live has been down to minus 7 at times and I believe is still below zero currently
I’ve left the heating to come on a couple of times each day but I’m guessing the house has been cool at best but likely cold

So questions :
1 - was 2-4 days likely enough time at ~20c before the cold snap hit, for carbonation ?
2 - will my first brew results be affected ?
3 - should I treat the bottles to some 20c warmth for some time when I get back tomorrow, or shall I put them straight in the garage now to chill ?
4 - should I be nervous of any bottles having exploded ?

I ask question 4 not knowing the cause of exploding bottles btw !!!

Thanks
shd

Last edited:
So I’m home now and just checked my bottles and it looks like the temperature went down to a minimum of 9 degrees whilst I was away.
As mentioned previously, for the first 2-4 days of carbonation after bottling, the temperature was kept around 20 degrees which was the temperature that I brewed at
Are they ready to just go in the garage now or would they benefit from some warmth to make up for some of the cold temperatures that they experienced during the cold snap ?

I am assuming that they are in glass bottles so you can't just give them a squeeze to check carbonation ? If so i would leave them some where warm for another week ,and then crack one on Christmas day to sample one ,
BTW, well done on getting your first brew completed acheers.acheers.

Thanks for the reply @starseeker
I’ve used plastic as it was part of a kit

So just give a few a squeeze and see if they are hard ?

(no jokes please 😉

@starseeker …. I’ve just checked all 38 bottles for which I used 4 types of carbonation :
1 x carbonation drop for 10 bottles
1.5 drop for 10 bottles
2 x drops for 10 bottles
0.5 x teaspoon of sugar for 8 bottles

All bottles are squeezable

So should I give a week of warmth please ?

Yep I would. The poor old yeast has been up and down and probably needs some consistent warmth to do it's thing.

The plastic bottles should be pretty firm to squeeze. Some of mine have been rock hard under pressure for highly carbonated styles...

Yep I would. The poor old yeast has been up and down and probably needs some consistent warmth to do it's thing.

The plastic bottles should be pretty firm to squeeze. Some of mine have been rock hard under pressure for highly carbonated styles...
Thanks @sifty
I say they are squeezable, I guess on reflection they are pretty firm tbh
I guess it’s just a case of not being experienced enough yet to know rather than opening one
Guess I was expecting cannon ball hard

Can you confirm it won’t do any harm please ?
My plan is a couple of days just to be sure then it’s off to the garage for my 38 little soldiers 😀

Def won't do any harm. Why not just try one? I usually do after a week or so just to see how things are going. 🙂
Generally they're OK but still a bit 'green' and flat at that stage. They only improve with time...

[Edit] typically get a very muted 'hiss' when opening and they pour with very little head. Another week with the yeast doing yeasty things can make a huge difference...

I have had a batch of golden ale conditioning in bottles for the last 3 weeks, and they are on the cold garage floor, which is normally fine. I have tried a couple and the beer tastes good but it's a bit flat. I am putting this down to the cold temperature and I will move them to a warmer location for a couple of weeks.

Def won't do any harm. Why not just try one? I usually do after a week or so just to see how things are going. 🙂
Generally they're OK but still a bit 'green' and flat at that stage. They only improve with time...

[Edit] typically get a very muted 'hiss' when opening and they pour with very little head. Another week with the yeast doing yeasty things can make a huge difference...
Would there be any merit in giving the bottles a swirl @sifty (not a shake just a gentle swirl) to disturb the yeast ?

I have had a batch of golden ale conditioning in bottles for the last 3 weeks, and they are on the cold garage floor, which is normally fine. I have tried a couple and the beer tastes good but it's a bit flat. I am putting this down to the cold temperature and I will move them to a warmer location for a couple of weeks.
Sounds like your brew @Birdsnestbrewery is in a similar situation to mine then if i tried one
I will open open later and report back

Yeah I upend some bottles occasionally to rouse the yeast. No idea if it does any good, but it feels like it helps get things going. It will always settle out later once in the fridge...

Just try a bottle. You clearly have some fizz. Then you'll know whether to warm them up for a bit. Don't try and stir up the yeast - if there's sugar in there they'll revive fine with a bit of warmth.

patience is always all worth in the end, all of the above post will work beer conditioning takes time the amount of sugar and warmth will vary with types of yeast used.
I try to bottle with a couple of clear bottles so I can see the yeast settling a day or two in a warm place will help in my opinion.

beers always improve with age in the bottle

Latest posts

Back