Just ordered my DE razor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam.k

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've come to the end of my Mach 36 3/4 turbo supreme ultimate 15 blade do dars and I decided that I'm sick of buying the over priced pieces of ****.
After reading a thread I while back about safety razors I decided to take the plunge and ordered a starter kit.
It comes with the razor, 100 derby blades, a brush made from a boars ****, a case and some Turkish soap stick thing.
I guess I will swap pieces out at a later date if I spot stuff I prefer.

Is it sad that I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Question is, are derby blades any good? If not what do people recommend.

I use Derbys, in my Gillette Tech and TTO . . . Which I use for my XTG and ATG passes . . . In the Merkur I use Feathers . . . Which is an 'interesting' combination. Considering teh Feathers are reckoned to be the sharpest blades in the world . . and the Merkur at setting 6 is pretty aggressive.

Astra blades are also good.

Blubeards revenge is a pretty good cream

Its all personal, I hate Derbys with a passion. I started with them and thought that it was probably my technique so re-visited them not long ago and decided that they were just not right for me.

You would be wise to order a blade sample pack from Connaughtand see which ones you like.

I use Gillette Super Thins most of the time in DE's.

Safety razors take a bit of getting used to but like you I got cheesed off with the price of cartridges. I use Laser blades 'cos they're cheap and stocked everywhere around here, there are a couple of generic blades I'd never buy again but I'm not too fussy. After about six months with my 'starter' razor I ended up splashing out on a vintage Gillette which was just so much nicer to handle.

I did think about going all the way and getting a cutthroat, what put me off in the end was the amount of hassle in maintaining the blade.

Sam.k pm me your address and I will pass on siome the blades I was given plus a few iv got
I got myself a parker de and use blue diamond and ones from asda's as both work for me.
Iv been using mine a while and must have only used 20 blades (£5 at most) I enjoy that few minutes in the day to relax for a shave , don't rush it or you will peel your face off . I'm heavy handed at the best of times but only nicked myself a few times mainly spots.

That's very kind iceo, many thanks.
I've seen that you need to be a bit gentle, hopefully I don't end up looking like skeletor after the first go.

Strata said:
I did think about going all the way and getting a cutthroat, what put me off in the end was the amount of hassle in maintaining the blade.
Its all part of the fun. :mrgreen:

Your welcome. Fbsf sent me some and asked if I would do the same if any one else want to try. Lots of soap and many passes worked for me . You might not get the closest shave the first for times. Let the razor do the work . And if you get a nic stick it stings like **** but stops the bleeding

got a Merkur Futur myself and love astra blades with it, can go a week without having a shave and this will chop it off with no tugging with 1 or 2 passes in places.

Best thing I ever did was buy it, saved me a bundle on blades and takes half the time if I aint had a shave for a few days :)

34C for me, although I am debating either getting the beard or the horseshoe moustache back together.

iceo said:
Sam.k pm me your address and I will pass on siome the blades I was given plus a few iv got
I'd offer to do the same and send you some Feathers . . . But you will probably have more than enough nicks and cuts with blades that are not quite as sharp as Feathers :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Oh Yeah Another Futur User Here.

I got a Weishi 9306-E about 6 months ago, tried numerous blades including the Derby, but I have found the Gillette 7 O'clock blades to be my favourite so far.

Got 100 off Amazon for £13, so about 13p a blade, can get 3 good shaves per blade as well.

Some shops do a multipack selection of blades so you can find the perfect one.

Never thought I could get so interested in looking at new safety razors, some lovely 'retro' ones on Executive Shave :D

Welcome to the smooth side of the dark side! I find that feathers are sharper than derby's although I'm currently using astra platinums.

I recommend "Taylor's of bond streets Sandlewood cream" a tub is about £8 but will last you about 3months plus.
I would also bUy an Alun block : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osma-Bloc-Sooth ... B004NEHR28
Stings like fudge but stops bleeding quickly, give it a rinse off with cold water or you'll have a powdery face !

Most importantly take your time, just do 2 pass shaves for every day use.

I usually use a new blade every 3 shaves, but experience will tell you when to change depending on your stubble thickness etc.
Have fun :thumb: :cheers:

I have a Feather popular safety razor and a Edwin jagger chrome razor, personally I find the feather gives me a much better shave , I only bought as a gym washbag razor.
The jagger whilst being a beautiful razor is a little cut happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shaving less frequently - about once every week and a half to two weeks, and use Gillette senser excell (or somthing like that) - I find a pack of five lasts me several months, as I use the same blade/head for several shaves until it gets to the point where it's pulling hair out rather than cutting it off. I personally can't see the point in spending money on double edge blade shaver.... but I do use a badger brush and proper soap! - go figure.

Aleman said:
iceo said:
Oh Yeah Another Futur User Here.

Flogged my futur and paid most of the cost of a 50L stock pot with the proceeds :)

I've a couple of aggressive razors (Ever Ready 1912 and Pearl Open Comb) if I want that kind of shave and an Edwin Jagger DE89 or Gillette slim adjustable for other times.

That said I don't think there is anything quite as comfortable as the shave from a cut throat razor which is properly honed.

Crastney said:
I'm shaving less frequently - about once every week and a half to two weeks, and use Gillette senser excell (or somthing like that) - I find a pack of five lasts me several months, as I use the same blade/head for several shaves until it gets to the point where it's pulling hair out rather than cutting it off. I personally can't see the point in spending money on double edge blade shaver.... but I do use a badger brush and proper soap! - go figure.

this kit cost me just under £20 and it comes with 100 blades, so if you average at worst 3 shaves with each blade and your shaving once a week, £20 will last you about 5 years.
I scrap off my stubble once a day so I am looking to get a year out of 100 blades.
seems pretty cost effective to me :)

also its the indulgence, I work my **** off, have a 2.5 year old that spends most of her time shouting at me and a wife that seems to do much the same...

10 minutes shaving is the only peace and quiet a get each day so I am determined to make the most out of it. it was either buy a posh razor or chain a Turkish barber up under the bath and my nan once told me to never let an imprisoned turk shave you with a cutthroat razor, wise lady she was.

I'd hack my face off with one of those types of razors. But I'd like to give it a go, had a barber in china want to give me a shave after a haircut, when he picked up the cut throat which looked like it hadn't been looked after too well I kindly refused! I have to shave a couple of times to get nice and smooth, will have to look round mothers I've seen a Gillette type razor kicking about and there's a rolls razor sharpener thing.

Tried my new Edwin Jagger DE 89 BL out, using one of the Derby blades that came with it, for the first time last night and was mightily impressed. One slight nick by my Adams apple but I can live with that. I've just ordered a new (decent) brush and a sampler pack of different blades - can't wait to try them.

Latest posts

Back