Kenridge classic cabinet Shiraz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zutman

Reaction score
I'm just about to start this kit and noticed there are 3 bags of oak chippings / powder do I add all 3 bags has anyone done this kit can help within this and what the finish will be like with or without I am planning to leave this wine for 12 months
Thanks

I'm just about to start this kit and noticed there are 3 bags of oak chippings / powder do I add all 3 bags has anyone done this kit can help within this and what the finish will be like with or without I am planning to leave this wine for 12 months

Thanks

I’ve only ever made a Juice wine with oak clippings/powder and it went in at the start of fermentation and then filtered out when I racked to secondary 10 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking about the taste do I need to add the oak to get the correct taste, we tend to buy cabinet/ Shiraz from the supermarket ? I suppose if it's in the kit then use it

Three bags of oak seems odd, only ever seen one included in the Kenridge classic kits i have made.
Sure its not Bentonite and Elderberrys as well as oak ?
In any case if it is, they all go in at the start of fermentation, give it a good stir then add the yeast and leave to ferment.

Blimey that seems OTT. Done lots of Kenridge kits but not that particular one.
I would be inclined to leave out one of the toasted i think.
The Nebbiolo comes with one oak pack and seems to provide sufficient taste/aroma to me.

I think I will just put the Hungarian oak in and see how it goes can't see it making massive difference better to under do it I feel. Commercial equivalent probably never sees an oak barrel LOL

That is my one gripe with the generic instructions, they don't even say what should be in the kit. Seem to think I got two bags of oak in my california connoisseur Malbec. Was it a packing error or should I use it.
I did and liked the result.
Though as said earlier, if it's in there use it. Not had a wine over oaked before,

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Personally - if it’s in there I’d use it.
Oak chips in my limited experience don’t impart the flavour you’d expect. So I don’t think you’ll kill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The instructions just say add everything that's in the box so I will take your advice and bang all 3 in and fingers crossed, was hoping someone had done this kit

When it comes to the oak you may add however much you like. If you find that 3 is too much, you may add only 1 or 2.
Although this kit is intended to have 3, it all boils down to personal preference.

That's the reply from the producers so that's cleared that problem up

Back