Lager and lagering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuo1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

Going to get a coopers Cerveza on the go at the weekend, using a starter made from youngs Lager yeast (1st time using a starter as this idiot didn't check the net weight so need to breed it it up a bit).

My understanding is that it will take longer to ferment (3 weeks at least) and then I need to do a diacetyl rest for about 24-ish hours then chill for as long as humanly possible to lager it (4 week minimum)

Does this all sound correct? I'm using a pressure barrel as the lagering vessel so is it worth pumping some co2 into it before it takes is fridge nap? And once it's lagered is it just a case of priming and bottling as normal? Finally got my brew shed all sorted and have wanted to try and do a 'proper' (yes, I know it's a can kit, BIAB is next) lager since I got into this so don't want to stuff it up

Cheers

I’m just brewing my first lager at the moment and had some great help from people. If you haven’t already, take a look at the advice in the thread “So, what’s the point of lager” in the general beer discussion forum.
That's my lunchtime reading sorted. Cheers for that

Hi all
My understanding is that it will take longer to ferment (3 weeks at least) and then I need to do a diacetyl rest for about 24-ish hours then chill for as long as humanly possible to lager it (4 week minimum)
Does this all sound correct? I'm using a pressure barrel as the lagering vessel so is it worth pumping some co2 into it before it takes is fridge nap? And once it's lagered is it just a case of priming and bottling as normal?
Cheers
It probably won't take three weeks to ferment. And a diacetyl rest is only needed if there is diacetyl present. (I've never had to do one) And once lagered you prime and bottle the same as an ale.

It probably won't take three weeks to ferment. And a diacetyl rest is only needed if there is diacetyl present. (I've never had to do one) And once lagered you prime and bottle the same as an ale.
Cheers for that. I'll have a little sip before lagering to check for buttery flavours and if it seems OK I'll leave it (Did a wilko Cerveza with no temp control and it wasn't buttery so fingers crossed). So prime and bottle as normal after lagering? That was the bit that confused me. Usually I just put priming sugar into bottles then fill and cap them up.

If you have a fermentation chamber (or can control temps accurately) it might be worth checking out the Brulosophy quick lager method Lager Method. I've tried it about 3 times with good results in terms of clarity.

Cheers for that. I'll have a little sip before lagering to check for buttery flavours and if it seems OK I'll leave it (Did a wilko Cerveza with no temp control and it wasn't buttery so fingers crossed). So prime and bottle as normal after lagering? That was the bit that confused me. Usually I just put priming sugar into bottles then fill and cap them up.
Follow your normal bottling procedure.

If you have a fermentation chamber (or can control temps accurately) it might be worth checking out the Brulosophy quick lager method Lager Method. I've tried it about 3 times with good results in terms of clarity.
I've been meaning to read that after another recommendation, I must get round to it so thanks for the link again. Will this method work with can kits or is it suited more for all grain / BIAB?

I've been meaning to read that after another recommendation, I must get round to it so thanks for the link again. Will this method work with can kits or is it suited more for all grain / BIAB?
Yes, it should work just as well with kits as all grain. Once the brew has been done and wort has been made, the fermentation processes are the same.

Yes, it should work just as well with kits as all grain. Once the brew has been done and wort has been made, the fermentation processes are the same.

Cheers for that. Once I've finished butchering my brew fridge I'm gonna give that a good read. The thing I'm slowly learning from homebrew is thst there is always more than one way to skin a cat (and no cats were harmed during the making of any homebrew or forum posts!)

Latest posts

Back