Lager Problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McDonald

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have been brewing for a year or two (lockdown!) usually Bittter or Porter from commercial kits. Recently however I have been trying to brew some lager without much success. I have tried three of the more expensive kits; i.e. Mangrove Jacks Helles, Brewferm Pilsener and one other Continental Pilsener, and I have come up with the same problem each time. The fermentation goes according to plan: 20 litres, takes a week to ten days. The problem comes after bottling. I think my sanitisation routine is good (oxy cleaner then starsan) but within a few days the beer goes quite dark (for a lager!) almost a light tan colour, it clears nicely and when I open one after a couple of weeks it is bright and clear with a good head. However it hasn't got much of a flavour, its quite bland, it doesnt taste sour or 'off' like a bad point in a pub, but it doesn't taste good. What am I doing wrong?? Temperature control might be an issue as I am storing it in the garage after bottling and it has been quite warm this spring/summer? Any ideas?

Darkness I would take as a sign of oxidation. Buts that's all I have. Never seen that happen.... Are you sure it's not clearing?

If it is oxidisation is it a cleaning/sanitisation problem or is it somethign else. It is clearing and carbonation is good.

I only made reasonable lager from kits with ale yeasts once I started using a brew fridge and even then they aren't comparable to using a true lager yeast.

I made a coopers lager and swapped the yeast for novalager yeast for a better lager style finish as it ferments at ale temps, easier to use without temp control. I also added some hersbrucker dry hops to mine to give it some flavour and it has turned out pretty good. I also brewed short to 21ltrs rather than 23ltrs. Mine is also a darker lager, more Eastern European in style, cross between San Miguel for bitterness and Starapramon, or whatever its called, for finish/style.

I will be doing it again.

Lack of flavour could just mean you need to experiment a little with flavours outside of thr kit instructions.

Latest posts

Back