Festival Golden Stag kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Elzibub

Reaction score
As a near beginner I thought I’d post some kit reviews which other new starters / re-starters might find useful.

This was the first kit I made on my return to home brewing before Christmas. Kits have got better since I last made one 25 years ago - 3Kg of extract (no bag of Silver Spoon) and some hop pellets to add during fermentation. OG was 1038 and after 2 weeks at about 17-22 C bottled at 1010. Tasted at bottling it seemed a touch bitter but I needn’t have worried, after 2 weeks conditioning it tasted fantastic. I’d have been happy to be served this in a pub, well balanced, not as hoppy as the description suggested but a very refreshing drink at Chrstmas.

Planning to start AG brews this year but I’ll probably come back to this kit.

IMG_3847.jpeg

Great. I’ve been brewing 3-4 years now. A mix of kits and full extract brewing. I have honestly been so happy with the results that I haven’t made a switch to AG yet. I think I’ll stay going as I am. Maybe it’s something to do with the water. But I haven’t made a brew yet that had off flavours. They have been very drinkable. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA, Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA and Festival Razorback IPA are in my top 4 along with a Full Extract Citra IPA from the Homebrew company which was number 1.

Great. I’ve been brewing 3-4 years now. A mix of kits and full extract brewing. I have honestly been so happy with the results that I haven’t made a switch to AG yet. I think I’ll stay going as I am. Maybe it’s something to do with the water. But I haven’t made a brew yet that had off flavours. They have been very drinkable. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA, Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA and Festival Razorback IPA are in my top 4 along with a Full Extract Citra IPA from the Homebrew company which was number 1.
Yes, this one and the other two Festival kits I've made have been very good. I'm not a frequent hoppy IPA drinker but your full extract Citra IPA (this one I guess? https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hbc-full-extract-citra-pale-ale-23lt-p-4329.html) sounds interesting for a refreshing summer beer so I might investigate.

Yes, this one and the other two Festival kits I've made have been very good. I'm not a frequent hoppy IPA drinker but your full extract Citra IPA (this one I guess? https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hbc-full-extract-citra-pale-ale-23lt-p-4329.html) sounds interesting for a refreshing summer beer so I might investigate.
It was really nice, good kit, you will like it. Probably the best beer I’ve done so far. Only Festival kits I’ve tried were the Wheat Beer and Razorback IPA. Both were excellent. I’ve a pretty healthy stash of beers at home. Razorback is the best of the bunch. I must try a couple of their other kits.

It was really nice, good kit, you will like it. Probably the best beer I’ve done so far. Only Festival kits I’ve tried were the Wheat Beer and Razorback IPA. Both were excellent. I’ve a pretty healthy stash of beers at home. Razorback is the best of the bunch. I must try a couple of their other kits.
Yes the Festival Weiss Bier was really good and so was their London Porter.

I haven’t tried a Porter yet. I’m in Ireland. 🇮🇪 I’m afraid of a Lynch mob from the Guinness factory if word got out. That kind of carry on is sacrilegious over here. 🤣
Well Guinness make a pretty good West indies Porter so I think you'd be allowed.

Latest posts

Back