Layer of - presumably yeast - suspended 5-10 mm below surface

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markq

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Blonde from grain. All went well during the brew, but splashed some miscellaneous sink gunk into the wort during chilling so could be infected I suppose :laugh8:

Fermentation has gone fine so far but I've checked it this morning and found a layer of something hovering below the surface. I'm presuming it's yeast. It doesn't look nasty, and I've got days left to go, but I've never seen anybody talk about a solid layer like this suspended beneath the surface. On yes, mixed suspension in the liquid yes, but never 5-10 mm below the surface in large patches.

Thoughts anyobdy?

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 10.30.28 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 10.30.28.jpeg

I’m no expert but it looks like yeast to me, same colour as the residue on top. May just be the yeast is slowly breaking off the surface and sinking.

What temperature is it at? How long has it been fermenting? What strain of yeast?

Im sure it will be fine, don’t panic!

Well, I don't get to see my fermenting brews from that angle as my fermenters are pretty well opaque. But I agree with Edison, it looks very much like yeast to me & I wouldn't be at all concerned. If I was forced to guess, I'd say it was probably a floating yeast layer that had lost buoyancy, maybe through the vessel being moved a little, and had re-settled just below the surface.

Will have been about 22 degrees and it's a Mangrove's Belgian Ale yeast M41. Been fermenting for 4 about days when I took the picture.

It's been a real eye opener having the clear fermenter, I don't know how you guys cope without obsessively watching your brews :laugh8: Joking apart, I think seeing what's going on is really useful for a beginner such as myself.

Agree it's probably yeast and it's now arranged itself into a much less uniform pattern, still in the same areas. I just found it super strange that it was on a perfect plane suspended below the surface and not on it. I did move the fermernter slightly a few days prior so Hoppyland, you might have nailed the reason for that.

Thanks both!

Latest posts

Back