Lazy Man's 15 Minute Light APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the cleanest, most straightforward, light, hoppy beers I've ever made. I've made one gallon of it and I'm not waiting for it to even let the demijohn to drink it...

Boil for 15 minutes:
- 2.5 KG of light DME
- 0.15 KG of medium DME
- 22g Chinook, 22g Cluster, 11g Citra

Once it cools down, pitch a satchet of notty / gervin.
Once fermentation has finished dry hop with 40g Citra.

~4.4% ABV, 45 IBU.

I'll swap a bottle with whoever contends that a 15m boil can't make a good beer (offer limited to two bottles due to what's left) :drink:

JKaranka said:
One of the cleanest, most straightforward, light, hoppy beers I've ever made. I've made one gallon of it and I'm not waiting for it to even let the demijohn to drink it...

Boil for 15 minutes:
- 2.5 KG of light DME
- 0.15 KG of medium DME
- 22g Chinook, 22g Cluster, 11g Citra

Once it cools down, pitch a satchet of notty / gervin.
Once fermentation has finished dry hop with 40g Citra.

~4.4% ABV, 45 IBU.

I'll swap a bottle with whoever contends that a 15m boil can't make a good beer (offer limited to two bottles due to what's left) :drink:

I won't dispute it's a nice beer, if it works it works. However, I don't see how you could get 45 IBU from a 15min boil. Without putting it through BrewMate I would guess you would need almost double the amount of hops. Interesting concept though, there's no law that says you have to do a full 60 min boil for an extract. Plus there will be a ton of flavour from the hops as they're boiled for such a short time :hmm:

I jusr re-read your post. Did you say you only brewed 1 gallon and used over 2.5kg of DME? That's not even possible and certainly wouldn't be 4% :wha:

I'm confused

I've scaled from one to five gallons for the posted recipe. Citra is around 15% and Chinook 13% alpha, it's quite easy to get them to high IBUs in the late boil (plus Cluster is ~9%).

JKaranka said:
I've scaled from one to five gallons for the posted recipe.

Gotcha, that makes more sense, that would be some yeast to make its way through 2.5kg of DME in 1 gallon!!!!

Citra is around 15% and Chinook 13% alpha, it's quite easy to get them to high IBUs in the late boil (plus Cluster is ~9%).

Last batches of cluster and citra I had were 5% and 10% respectively but I'm pretty sure they vary from harvest to harvest, different suppliers etc... Anyway at those AAUs I'm sure you're bang on! Apologies I doubted you! :oops:

Anyway that sounds like quite an interesting way of brewing extract. Have you done this method before? I guess the drawback is it's a inefficient use of hops as you obviously need more. Then again, they're not particularly expensive and if you get more flavour this way :hmm:

I'd recommend you try with one gallon when you don't have any time to brew (job changes, more kids come along, you take angling...) :D

I've not done five gallons at once yet but it does definitively give me lots of experience and ideas for other brews.

I have used this method several times for extract brews and it works really well.

It means you end up using more hops to get the IBUs required but then again adding hops in the last 15 or 20 minutes is something that some craft brewers in the US have done to good effect. Obviously when going all grain you still have to boil the wort before you get to that 15 minute mark where the hops start going in.

Latest posts

Back