Leave in FV or bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawsOfEvil

Reaction score
I made an oatmeal stout about a week ago. At the end of next week I will be starting a 6 week course and am unlikely to return home during that time. Should I bottle it before I go and leave it in the cupboard or is it ok to leave it in the FV. It could be as much as 8 weeks in the FV if I don't bottle it, is this too long? Maybe if I rack to a secondary before going away? I know stout needs a long time to condition but I don't have enough bottles to hand atm. If you guys recommend bottling though I can pop out and get some more this week. Just wondering on the benefits/drawbacks of the options.

You made it about a week ago --- you're going away at the end of next week -- so that's 3 weeks in total in the FV? Should be the ideal point to bottle it (as long as you're confident it's finished fermenting).

I would bottle. If you do your beer should be perfectly conditioned when you get and ready for you to drink.

Back