Limoncello recipy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually tried this over the weekend.
I saw it on Friday, and as I was finishing work early, go myself 10 lemons, a bottle of vodka, and a bag of sugar.

it's not exactly 'home brew' because you're not brewing anything, it like Sloe Gin I suppose in that respect.

it smelt the kitchen out with a beautifull lemon flavour, and we also made a lemon sorbet, and some lemon, pear and poppy seed muffins.

i didn't have a 'kilner' jar big enough, so I shoved it all in a 2ltr pop bottle, and it seems to be ok.

I'll wait a month, and tell you what it tastes like.

I have some of this maturing for 6 months now, have to say it is getting better and better I was told that 3 to 5 years was optimum may not make it that far although it is a little sweet for my taste. Also just put on my blackcurrant vodka which is fab and I just never manage to make enough of it. It is especially good if you have a bit of a sore throat ;)

I couldn't remember how long ago I made this, so last night I strained the liquid into other bottles.
Due to a slight oversight, the two bottles that I'd prepared were about 200ml less than the amount of liquid I had, so I was forced to taste the slight spillage :whistle:
It tastes lovely! it's now in the fridge keeping cool.

If you can get your hands on the everclear (or other grain alcohol), try it with that. Real old-school limoncello is made with the strong variety of Grappa (or so I am told by my friend who lived in Italy for quite awhile) and the grain alcohol should apparently make a nicer drink than with vodka.

I still haven't had a chance to make this, but I do love me some limoncello!

swmbo and I tried this at the weekend, I liked it, but she said it tasted like lemon flavoured vodka, which I guess is exactly what it is.
she liked it, but I think was expecting something else, with more colour maybe as this is a bit thin looking.

Back