Little Bottler Bubbles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickiedavis

Reaction score
Hi,
Bottling up last night with my Little Bottler and noticed that it was pushing bubbles up through the beer. Looking closer I saw that there seemed to be air trapped in the tap assembly. I took off the wand and ran a bit of beer through the tap through, but the air still stayed in there. Hopefully it won’t have ruined the batch. Has anyone else had this?

The red ‘slot’ on the tap assembly inside the fv (where the beer drains in to) is facing upwards – is that correct?

Cheers.
D.

Red slot supposed to face up yeah, its a kind of sediment trap, although I've just taken mine off completely. Your beer will be fine, don't stress.

I don't think the red cap on the tap makes any difference which way it is, mine is facing down and very little sediment gets transferred to the bottling bucket from the primary FV.

I could understand having it up facing if it was my primary.

There is always a bit of air stuck in my Little Bottler tap body and I have had the red bit open upwards, downwards and sideways, it makes no difference at all.
As photek1000 has already said, I can see the point of it if it was in the primary but it doesn't do anything in a bottling bucket as far as I can see. I didn't realise it came off totally though, so I will just take it off completely next time.

I get bubbles every time, but have never had a ruined beer yet, so don't stress. It will be fine. :cool:

Thanks all - I may try to take the red bit out too. make getting that last bit out of the bin easier.

D.

Another tip on using the little bottler. Before opening the tap, use a bottle to depress (open) the valve on the little bottler (as you would to fill a bottle) then open the tap. The idea is that as the beer flows the air can escape from the bottom of the bottler thus does not get stuck in the tube :thumb:

On the off chance anyone knows this, does the Brewferm Bottle Filler fit the tap that comes with the Better Brew 27.5 l fermenter? I think it probably does, and could probably salvage with tubing if not, but would be nice to know for sure. Thanks.

I always fill the little bottler up with boiled water before attaching it to the tap. Then open the tap and run out the water and a little beer into a bowl before starting bottling. This has always kept the bottler bubble-free and usually fast-flowing. It was quite slow last time though, so I may try joe1002's suggestion next time.

yup prime the bottler prior to bottling with water[to make sure no air is in from the start] run off the water then bottle the beer
:thumb:

if your tap connection is causing this issue use the little bottler with a syphon tube attached instead of your bucket tap i do not use the tap i use a syphon tube with trap and hop strainer mesh at the end of that i put the bottling wand
[youtube:2t4w7g1j]UcPN9jMeLGI[/youtube:2t4w7g1j]

[/quote]

this is what i use

hop trap syphon tube thingy
syphon tube
tap
bottling wand
all primed up prior to bottling with pre boiled water with no air in everything sterilised to maintain the syphon prior to clipping it into your bottling bucket etc

:drink:

nobyipa - just wondering, how do you get the syphon started when using the little bottler? Do you suck the syphon to get it going then attach the primed little bottler?

bbslaw said:
nobyipa - just wondering, how do you get the syphon started when using the little bottler? Do you suck the syphon to get it going then attach the primed little bottler?

i use a 100ml syringe then shut the tap

Fill the siphon tube from a tap first. Then no sucking needed. Much more sterile than using your gob.

bbslaw said:

[youtube:f5m1wdud]VXqlWSYyJJA[/youtube:f5m1wdud]
every thing star sanned etc

then attach the bottling wand turn tap on then drain a bit into a glass to ommit bubbles then away you go and bottle

Latest posts

Back