Looking for a kit that makes something like Ghost Ship

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeTaylor

Reaction score
I'm a lightweight who works exclusively from kits. I've had great results with Festival kits, especially Razorback IPA and Bonfire Toffee Stout. But among mainstream commercial beers, my favourite is Adnams Ghost Ship, and I'd love to find a kit that makes a good beer in that style. Can anyone provide recommendations? (I'd be especially happy if it turned out that one of the Festival kits does this, since I've grown to trust their kits.)

Thank you!

As you’ll guess by my forum name, I’m also a huge fan of Adnams Ghost Ship! I also only brew kits (no time for anything else). To get anything close to GS, you’ll obviously need a kit that contains citra. The best citra kit I’ve done is Mangrove Jacks Citra IPA. It was fantastic and one of the best kits I’ve ever done, however, for reasons known only to themselves, MJ ran it as a limited edition and it’s no longer available. I really hope they bring it back at some stage - I’d brew it again tomorrow. There are not that many citra based kits on the market, but one I’ve recently done is Dark Rock’s Citra IPA. You’ll find my review in the reviews thread and if you’re familiar with the Partridge Brothers on YouTube, they have just reviewed it this week for the second time (I won’t spoil it by telling you what they thought of it).

It’s a cracking pint. Does it taste like Ghost Ship? Only to a point, but if you like citra, I’m sure you’d like this. I’d recommend brewing it with the Dark Rock Pale Ale Enhancer, which is great stuff.

Thank you all for these really helpful suggestions! I went ahead and ordered Dark Rock’s Citra IPA and Enhancer. That video review really sold it :cool:

It's amazing that the Malt Miller sells a kit for making actual Ghost Ship, and that Adnams not only allow it but helped them! But, yes, working from grain is too much for me. And I'm interested more in that style than in replicating the exact flavour of GS itself.

Thank you all for these really helpful suggestions! I went ahead and ordered Dark Rock’s Citra IPA and Enhancer. That video review really sold it :cool:

It's amazing that the Malt Miller sells a kit for making actual Ghost Ship, and that Adnams not only allow it but helped them! But, yes, working from grain is too much for me. And I'm interested more in that style than in replicating the exact flavour of GS itself.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back