Lost a brew, other fine i think!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bugger had to bin my latest batch of London Pride! did this one differently by adding hops post boil but i checked em in the FV and left it to do its thing. Racked it off a week ago and only got around 15ltr it did look ok so i thought - went to start bottling ands it was disgusting, white infection on top of the brew, smelt aweful, it eas really cloudy and tasted bogging to boot so chucked it!.

My other brew i started a week later looks to be doing fine - its a golden summer lightning bitter and must admit its really pale looking, but - same deal racked it off and got 23ltr+ from a 25ltr batch and it tastes good and looks nice - only problem is - just noticed its still fermenting, about 1 in 4-5mins a nice long bloop n gloop?
So dont think this will be safe to bottle just yet and deffo not with a t spoon of sugar as i normally do. Its been going almost 4 weeks now too - any ideas guys?? :thumb:

have you done a hydrometer reading ? maybe its fine but maybe its got some wild yeast in and has kept fermenting down , hope its ok for you

Yeah did the hydro when i racked it - it was fine no bubbles for a while. But seriously think its this damn freak weather here. My cool room is around 28c :shock:
Going to leave another 24 hrs and what happens - i moved the 2ndry from floor to bottling height so may have disturbed any sediment and kicked it off again?

That's rough scream, I'm sorry to hear that. Tossing beer is never pleasant.

My wife recently tossed 5 gallons of American stout. It wasn't infected, but it was just way too hoppy for the style.

All in brewing I guess.

If it were me and you've got 2 hydro readings the same over 24hrs I'd get it bottled Scream.
1 bubble every 4 to 5 mins is nothing...it could be the freaky weather you're talking about, the hotter the beer gets the less C02 it can hold...then there's expansion to boot.
In reality yeast carries on working very slowly for quite a while after hydro's would tell you it's stopped, it can easily drop a couple of points in the bottle over time.

Thats what i figured Vossy, so will wait until tonite when it cools down a bit and get the bugger bottled. I'll then give it couple of days then fridge it just in case lol :cheers:

Latest posts

Back