Magnetic Pump Failure!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NegFerret

Reaction score
Hi,

I started my first brew with the new system today. All was going well until...pump failure :(

I was recirculating my mash, and after 30 mins it just stopped working. The mash was coming out through a fully opened valve, into the pump (not turned on until primed) through the HERMS and back through a partially opened valve into the tun.

Does anyone have any ideas what I've done wrong here? I checked the fuse and unfortunately this wasn't the issue :(

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Yes it was still primed, when I tried to switch it on again I got nothing...the motor wasn't going.

The main cause of mag pump failure is overheating/bearing failure (so I understand) but this shouldn't have been an issue in this case as the flow rate was on max to the inflow, and only restricted on the outflow.

If a pump does fail due to this would complete failure to turn be the outcome? Maybe I'll take it apart and see what it looks like on the inside.

I'm also wondering, just how delicate are these pumps? If some grain gets through the mash tun filter will it screw the pump up? I would imagine not...but imagination isn't very reliable tool in these situations ha!

Happened to me a few brews ago, solar pump just stopped. I took it apart after and found a few bits of grain inside. After a good clean out it works fine :D

I try and use a filter but even then mine gets bits in so i turn it off and blow down the out end till it pushed wort back down and usually starts up again . Make sure to run em with hot clean water for 30 mins after using otherwise it will fail fully .

Aha, so there is still hope that I haven't been an idiot and destroyed my pump on the first brew!

Thanks for all your input. HERMS is quite a learning curve, especially if you rush into it. It was so much fun doing the brew though :thumb:

might try jugging back into the tun before attaching the pump to fix the grain bed filter before you start recirculation..

I just did it manually in the end. Poured the lot into a fermentor and poured it into the boiler. Not ideal but needs must eh! :thumb:

Was a decent first brew all things considered. I used a load of old hops and grain that I wanted to get rid of, I sensed there may be trouble haha

What sort of pump is it, I destroyed a couple of solar pumps by running them for long periods against a high resistance.

It's a mini mag 12v pump, should be good for 15l per minute. I pulled it apart this morning to have a look, but couldn't see any wear or grain particles. I was expecting it to be full of the stuff! I'll clean it tomorrow morning and throw it back together, maybe it'll work.

What power supply are you using?
What amperage is the pump and is the power supply up to the job?
Being a magnetic drive pump, if anything stuck in the impeller the pump should still run but not pump any liquid.

Is the run off from the mash tun sufficient to feed the pump or is it sucking against the mash ?

I broke a few solar plumps by not realising that the pump cannot be restricted on the inflow, when pumping directly from the tap on the mash tun you have to make sure the run off meets the flow rate or the pump will cavitate or burn out.

If the pump is sucking, it packs the mash and makes the situation worse - either improve the run off or let the run off fall to a secondary vessel and recirc from that.

That's a good point adomant.

I did encounter a problem with the mash runoff, and tried to sort it by raising the rear of the tun. After opening the pump up and cleaning it still isn't working.

I'm not sure how practical it is to run off into a separate vessel and then pump from there, as water/grain ratio would have to be increased substantially. Maybe increasing the length of the tube to the pump would be an alternative.

Also, maybe I had the tap too far open on the inflow to the tun, which allowed the pump to take wort out too quickly?

I'll have to get a new pump, but I don't know if I won't just bugger it up again!

NegFerret said:
Also, maybe I had the tap too far open on the inflow to the tun, which allowed the pump to take wort out too quickly?

restricting the outflow is no problem for the pump and is probably the way to go, if you can get the tap opened the right amount so the flow does not seem to weaken over time then that's a good indication that the pump rate is matching the run off and not sucking.

adomant said:
restricting the outflow is no problem for the pump and is probably the way to go, if you can get the tap opened the right amount so the flow does not seem to weaken over time then that's a good indication that the pump rate is matching the run off and not sucking.

That makes a lot of sense, I'll watch out for that cheers.

Brew 2 on the new system being done today.

I did what Fil suggested and recirculated a few liters manually to get rid of the grain.

I then adjusted the outflow to under 2 liters per minute as per the helpful Mr Lard.

I'm keeping an eye on this one, I'm bricking it! Don't want to screw up another pump :shock:

Latest posts

Back