making a mash tun out of a coolbox

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Regular.
Reaction score
so I'm getting closer and closer to AG

Got a cool box today at last- def the wrong time of season to try looking for a good deal on these bad boys. Finally went with a 42l one from argos- £30.

- I've looked through a lot of diff how tos but had two questions

1- can I use plastic plumbing pipe for the strainer? what about silicone?

2- how big should the holes be I put in them?

Any advice greatly appreciated-

thanks

Matthew

as Mark said slits, not holes, lot's of 'em....like this, except with twice as many slits

bef7e753-f2ef-491b-9431-83048d8793a7.jpg

just had a look at some plastic pipe in the garage, the top temp/pressure rating on it is 3 bar @ 93 degrees so looks like it would be ok to take mashing temps.

Most of the plastic pipe is rated for central heating , but not all so its worth checking . I know that with copper sawcuts are ideal but when working with plastic pipe before on other sorts of uses I have found that sawing leaves a lot of swarf hanging from the cut edge which is difficult to shift and tends to come loose when the pipe is finally in use and gets stuck in things . I dont know that drilling would be any better ....maybe , have to try and see . Bear in mind that the inner surface could have the same problems as any on the outer . Maybe a finer blade , or a dremel would leave powder instead ,easier to clear up . I am interested to know myself . :wha: :hmm:

thanks guys- what is the difference between sawing slots and drilling holes?

another question- can I use a plastic jar for making a yeast starter/harvesting yeast?

thanks

brilliant- any thoughts on what to use a stir bar. am i right in thinking that the size of the stir bar is not so relevant- that the real issue is the space between the magnets?

bump for a new question-

about to make this on sunday- how wide should the holes be? would an angle grinder work?

Angle grinder - a bit overkill but with a steady hand and 1mm slitting discs would do it . Very easy to overdo it though !

I was told 3mm was too big , so 1 to 2mm holes if drilling . Slots as fine as the tools allow .

Angle grinder - a bit overkill but with a steady hand and 1mm slitting discs would do it . Very easy to overdo it though !

I was told 3mm was too big , so 1 to 2mm holes if drilling . Slots as fine as the tools allow .

I recall reading on here recently you should use slits for grain and holes for hops (ie in the boiler). I presume if you use plastic you will be able to take it apart so you could clean any plastic burrs when you have finished sawing. Not sure how easy that will be in practice?

Hack saw, no need to get fancy, yes twice as many slits and you can put it together with end fed solder fitting. Just put it together, no need to solder it up, so that it fits the box and can't come apart, except for cleaning. ;) :D
S

Toolstation have PEX Barrier plastic pipe that is in their plumbing and heating sections that is rated to 114*C ,short term, and is listed as suitable for pressurised systems . So that would probably do OK for boiler manifolds as long as it wasnt too close to any heat sources .

Even so , I have misgivings about clearing all the swarf from plastic pipe , especially inside . A single piece of 15mm copper tube shouldnt cost too much from a local independent plumbers supplier . Or if REALLY cheap ,like me , you could re-use scrap and spend hours getting it cleaned up instead ! :?

Latest posts

Back