Two Stage Chilling With Tap Water - Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanHarper

Foredown Brewing
Reaction score
This may be the wrong area for this thread but I'm sure the Mods will move it if necessary. I put it here for discussion as to the viability of the idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My last brew was chilled using tap water plumbed through my home made chiller coil but, due to the temperature of the tap water source, the lowest temperature I could achieve was about 35 C - and that was with stirring to circulate the wort in the boiler.
If only I could get the tap water colder...
This predicament led to investigations into buying a Remote 8 beer chiller after discussions with a local Macro Brewer at a local beer festival meeting. Well many hours of internet searching later I could not find a suitable, cheap, second-hand chiller - I am not paying £250+ for that - my financial consultant (wife) would kill me.

So how can I achieve the same, or similar, effect for a lot less money?

I finally hit on the idea of passing the tap water feed through a block of ice to bring the temperature down.

So I scanned Gumtree and found a working freezer for £10 and set to work. My first idea was to tip it on it's back so that it's inner skin forms a two level "bath" with the freezing elements - the shelves - sitting vertically within. Fill it with water and bobs your uncle. BUT... Freezer compressors do not work on their side. Scrap that idea. Standing the freezer back on it's feet I would need another method of holding the water.

A scan of the internet again led to an idea of a plastic bin set in the biggest middle shelf but how to pass the tap water through the ice block? Copper pipework would have to be fashioned to sit within the bin but, after pricing up pipe and joints or malleable 10 mm pipework ( such as the chiller is made from) I would have a lot of work and another £40 bill.

I came across a cheap, plastic garden hose in B&Q (£4.50) and with a couple of connectors (another £4) I could do the same thing and produce a flexible, easily constructed alternative to copper pipework. But would it work?

The plan is to use the tap water source, as usual, to drop the wort temperature to as low as possible - about 30 C, then switch in the freezer / chill box to bring the wort temperature down even further and, hopefully, to well below 20 C. This will make the wort suitable for early pitching of yeast at the correct temperature.

upload_2018-9-4_21-37-36.png

I drilled holes through the freezer walls at appropriate positions, missing the wiring etc., to a size that just accommodates the diameter of the hose to help avoid heat ingress. I kept the coil of hose as I bought it - with the original banding keeping it together and teased out each end long enough to hang outside the freezer.
I fitted the coil in the plastic bin and passed the ends through the walls and fitted the connectors then squeezed the bin into the shelf space.
I tested that the water passed through the coil and that the connectors did not leak and positioned the freezer in it's working position in the garage - I mean brewery - and levelled the freezer up before filling the bin to a working level and closing the door and switching on the freezer to create that big block of ice I need.

ONE THING I HAVE TO MENTION HERE - THE HOSE MUST BE EMPTY OR THE WATER WILL FREEZE IN THAT TOO - NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN!

This has to be done after every use so there is no blockage. I used an air pump to blow through the hose and empty it.

The following pictures show the stages of construction but, as I said in the title - it is an experiment - and yet to be proven as successful. My next brew day is a couple of weeks away as I have a holiday to look forward to but I will do a trial boil and chill cycle at the weekend after my iceberg has grown.

upload_2018-9-4_22-11-40.png
upload_2018-9-4_22-12-5.png
upload_2018-9-4_22-12-31.png

upload_2018-9-4_22-12-57.png
upload_2018-9-4_22-13-25.png
upload_2018-9-4_22-13-45.png

upload_2018-9-4_22-14-16.png
upload_2018-9-4_22-14-48.png

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing your results - just so happens I have a fridge-freezer sat between my water source and chiller at the moment!

that's one of those freezers where the shelves are fixed in place and form part of the cooling mechanism. You can't fit the FV in there.

Would a counterflow chiller not be far, far easier than this?

Hi there, Easier to obtain, yes I go out and spend a lot of money for a plate chiller, and pump and pipework but the whole point was to save money (so I can make more beer!). The cost of all this would be now well over £100. I spent just over £20.
Even a counter-flow chiller, plate or otherwise, would, at best, drop the wort temperature down to just above the input "cooling" liquid - or I don't understand how they work but am willing to be enlightened. This is about where I am with using tap water through my, albeit homemade, chilling coil - wort a few degrees above tap temperature. The whole point of my Heath Robinson contraption is to further drop down the wort temperature by chilling the tap water input as low as possible. Just how low it will go I don't know yet but anything will be better than current so it's worth a go. If it doesn't work then I've only lost £20 or so - 4 pints on a night out.

Why didn't you just stick the fv in the freezer and let it drop?

I have a large Fridge Freezer (also costing £10) that I use to cool the beer in a FV when it's not used to keep my PB beer cool. The freezer part holds all my hops and ice for my cocktails!!! This new freezer was a way to speed up the boil to FV process so I can avoid potential contamination.

For the time it would spend chilling would you have to drill holes in the freezer?
Instead just have your tub in a freezer with the ends out of the water and pull the whole thing out when needed? Would save buying another freezer or atleast drilling a good one?

For the time it would spend chilling would you have to drill holes in the freezer?
Instead just have your tub in a freezer with the ends out of the water and pull the whole thing out when needed? Would save buying another freezer or atleast drilling a good one?

I didn't have room in my current freezer to do it that way - though, you are right, the effect would be the same. I did this as a project I could occupy my time with and get me out of the house (why I wonder?). The freezer was a piece of junk, working junk yes, but it should have gone in the skip really so I am recycling it and saving the planet at the same time...
2de7a811e20cff3fb1638b80c4133896901706342b0d3e5b6f1599cdd66f

I've maybe missed something but won't the garden hose act as insulation and not chill the water?

Well just done a test of the unit with just water in the boiler so values here with be different when wort is subject to cooling. If I understand correctly, sugar based liquids will retain more heat that pure water but I may be wrong...

Anyway some results: (All temperatures are in degrees C)

Tap water at start = 20.2 C
Boiler filled with 16 Lt water and heated up to 95 C (maximum non boil setting on my boiler)
Chiller coil in boiler to stabilize.
18:00 Start normal chill process with tap water source. Boiler temp showing 95 C
18:08 Temperature on boiler showing 27 C.
18:09 Temperature on boiler showing 27 C.
18:10 Stop normal chill process by turning off tap source. Hook up Freezer Chill box between Tap and Chiller coil.
18:11 Start process by turning on tap.
18:20 Temperature on boiler showing 19 C. Water outflow temperature = 19.8 C.
18:22 Reduced tap water pressure to minimum to give it more time to cool in Freezer coil.
18:25 Temperature on boiler showing 18 C.
18:30 Temperature on boiler showing 18 C. Process stopped.
Tap water temperature at end of test = 20.4 C.
No visible effect on ice block in Freezer - still solid.
==========================================
Conclusion:
This was a pure water test in the boiler and not wort, the best I could get wort down to (on last brew) was approx 25 C. Pretty close to this test.
Using the Freezer Chiller unit I could get approximately 8 degrees improvement than using just tap water alone.
For a trial run, the system seems to give an improvement in the chilling effect over using tap water alone.
The temperature drop seems to be sufficient to allow pitching of yeast as soon after boil as possible so I no longer need to wait.
I would say the system works. Whether it is more hassle than it's worth I don't know yet. It doesn't take up much room and gives me additional freezer space in the garage - and it cost me about £20. I'll trial it with a proper brew and see how it performs then.

Latest posts

Back