Malt extract kit addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodape

Reaction score
Are the jars of malt extract from Holland and Barrett any good for an addition to a kit and would you just replace them 1:1 with the sugar? So if kit asks for 1kg of sugar run 500g sugar and 500g of malt extract.

jodape said:
Are the jars of malt extract from Holland and Barrett any good for an addition to a kit and would you just replace them 1:1 with the sugar? So if kit asks for 1kg of sugar run 500g sugar and 500g of malt extract.

Have used H&B malt quite a few times with kits and even did a small extract style brew using only H&B (3 jars) once as an experiment. Got 10 litres of very drinkable ale out of it... So yes go ahead

:cheers:

Definitely adding it to my next kit - Tom Caxton Dark Ale c/o Wikinsons

I've just answered a similar question except the substitution was golden syrup. I've put together wee table to help.

Fermentable Extra Required
White Sugar 0
Malt Extract 20.0%
Brown Sugar 9.1%
Invert Sugar 20.0%
Glucose 0.0%
Corn Syrup 20.0%
Barley Syrup 20.0%

Dunfie said:
I've just answered a similar question except the substitution was golden syrup. I've put together wee table to help.

White Sugar 0
Malt Extract 20.0%
Brown Sugar 9.1%
Invert Sugar 20.0%
Glucose 0.0%
Corn Syrup 20.0%
Barley Syrup 20.0%

Sorry been a long week
So for 1kg white sugar I could replace it with 200g of malt extract?

jodape said:
Dunfie said:

White Sugar 0
Malt Extract 20.0%
Brown Sugar 9.1%
Invert Sugar 20.0%
Glucose 0.0%
Corn Syrup 20.0%
Barley Syrup 20.0%

Sorry been a long week
So for 1kg white sugar I could replace it with 200g of malt extract?

The operative word being extra required...

so 1 Kg of sugar would be replaced by 1Kg +20% i.e. 1.2Kg malt according to this table ...

jodape said:

My quick rule of thumb that I use with H&B Malt extract jars is count them as = to 1/3rd of a kilo of sugar

So if a kit calls for 1 KG sugar then I use

1 H&B Jar + 666 grams sugar
or
2 H&B Jars + 333 grams sugar
or
3 H&B Jars alone

Bear in mind the H&B malt is more of a medium than a pale malt and will darken most brews so use less in lighter beers

Latest posts

Back