Malted, toasted oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone used them before? Couldn't find an awful lot online. I'm currently mashing a stout:

23l
3.5kg MO
0.6kg malted toasted oats
0.5kg brown malt
0.5kg dark crystal
0.25kg carafa 3 (no roasted barley, oops!)
200g chocolate malt
Mashed at 68 Deg C 1hr

First gold at 60 mins to 35 IBUs

Fermenting with WY1968 London ESB

Thoughts?

The oats smelled delicious by the way, really nutty.

Pretty happy with the colour of the wort, will take a pre-boil gravity reading when the sample cools down a bit

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_095735133.jpg
    IMG_20211016_095735133.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
Guess there's either a lack of interest or experience in using malted toasted oats then! 😊

Got just under 25l at 1.055 into the fermenter. When I came to pitch the yeast the wy1968 London ESB starter looked a bit lifeless, so I chucked an out of date CML Cali common in too. Seems to be fermenting well now 👍

IMG_20211017_195106016.jpg

I've got some 'naked' oats, but I don't think that's the same thing, is it? Beyond that, I don't know, but good luck with your brew, anyway. :D

I've got some 'naked' oats, but I don't think that's the same thing, is it? Beyond that, I don't know, but good luck with your brew, anyway. :D
Wow, a reply! Thanking you! 😊

I don't think they are the same thing, but not sure as I have virtually zero experience of using oats. I've gone with pretty neutral yeast, single hop addition at 60, and chloride forward liquor to accentuate the malts so we will see. 👍

What's the difference between malted and toasted oats and torrified oats?

The wort does indeed look nice, a stout just in time for the winter months, well played.

I guess most people just haven't used them - must say I've never heard of them before but from your description I do like the sound of them.

Yes they do sound interesting, I've never heard of them. You'll have to update us on how they turn out!
Cheers, will do. Possible that they may get lost with the other speciality malts in the recipe. I've got another 400g, I'll have to figure out what to use them in

Anyone used them before? Couldn't find an awful lot online. I'm currently mashing a stout:

23l
3.5kg MO
0.6kg malted toasted oats
0.5kg brown malt
0.5kg dark crystal
0.25kg carafa 3 (no roasted barley, oops!)
200g chocolate malt
Mashed at 68 Deg C 1hr

First gold at 60 mins to 35 IBUs

Fermenting with WY1968 London ESB

Thoughts?

I've got some 'naked' oats, but I don't think that's the same thing, is it? Beyond that, I don't know, but good luck with your brew, anyway.

I've used the Simpson's Golden Naked Oats (the naked bits means they're dehusked, I think). If you're talking about Crisp's Toasted Malted Oats then the difference, I imagine is like the difference between an amber malt and a crystal malt of similar colour. The Simpson's gives a lovely and quite distinctive flavour and I imagine the Crisp's would not be dissimilar in the context of a stout or porter.
Here are links to the specs:
https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/golden-naked-oats-gno/https://crispmalt.com/malts/04-toasted-malted-oats/

Latest posts

Back