Mangrove Jacks Brewers Series 40 Pint Pilsner Fermenting Temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakey1992

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the fermenting temperatures of the kit. Mangrove Jacks Brewers Series 40 Pint Pilsner

The yeast provided says that it should be fermented between 10-15 degrees. but on the box it comes in it says 20-25 degrees.

Why is this? Ad what temperature should I choose?

I have been looking online but cannot find a clear answer on why and what is best, only that lagers should be brewed at lower temperatures, seemingly much lower than the 20-25 on the box. Image showing differences

I am relatively new to brewing and have just made a Fermentation Chamber from a fridge and an Inkbird so I'm taking more notice of these temperatures.

Thanks in advance

Mine didn't come with any, so they had to send me one out afterwards and they sent M84.

I assumed that was the one it was supposed to come with so maybe that's why it doesn't add up.

So still not sure what temperature to go for?

I’m brewing the same kit and by chance with the same yeast as you have. The yeast that comes with the kit is the same as for all the brewers series and is ale yeast. I ditched this for m84 bohemian lager yeast and am fermenting at lager temperatures. Wanted to take advantage of the cooler weather for a more authentic lager.

Ahh brilliant! I will get that set up today @ 13 degrees then.

Do you have any other tips for me? I was just going to Ferment until it reached target FG and was steady.

Mine started at 1.050 ( kit +1kg brewing sugar +500g light DME)
Put it in a water bath in a cool corner of the cellar. I’ve been popping a ice pack in when I remember. It’s been keeping 10-12 degrees.
Started really slow 24 hrs plus of nothing. Then got really vigorous, with a eggy smell (made me think it was off). That soon died down to a steady non smelly bubbling airlock.
Took a sample after 6 days down to 1.023, didn’t smell, tasted fresh and clean, but still a bit sweet.
From research it suggests increasing the temp to 18 degrees for a few days towards the end of fermentation, which cleans up off flavours (dialectic rest?)
I’m then going to stick it in the shed and take advantage of the January cold temperatures to lager (4weeks min) it before bottling.

Thanks for that, sounds good, i think i will try to follow a very similar process.

I've heard of that but hadn't researched fully until now.

Out of interest why did you use 1kg of dextrose and the 500g spray malt? I was going to use 500g of each

Thanks for that, sounds good, i think i will try to follow a very similar process.

I've heard of that but hadn't researched fully until now.

Out of interest why did you use 1kg of dextrose and the 500g spray malt? I was going to use 500g of each

I put all the stuff into a brew calculator and it worked out around 5.5% which seemed a nice strength. Plus it meant I used up full bags.

Latest posts

Back