Mangrove Jacks Malt Extract 1.2kg - How much do I need to make a batch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have 2 packs of 1.2kg Mangrove Jacks LME. I've only done kit beers so far (4 right now), and I want to make a Pilsner out of these packs.

So, are they the same "density" as the LME you'd get out of a kit? Will for example, 1.2KG make 20 litres (what's the OG)? Would like to know if anyone has tried this, otherwise I'll have to make a mess of it and experiement to find out :laugh8::laugh8:

Attachments

• apiw3edg6__14286.1578758251.jpg
    apiw3edg6__14286.1578758251.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
I believe the 1.2kg Mangrove Jacks LME is supposed to be equivalent to 1KG of sugar. If you use two packs to make 20 litres with a high attenuation yeast that munches up all the fermentable sugar, then in theory you could be looking at up to 5.9% ABV (will probably be a bit less though). You probably aren't going to end up with a lot of malt character if you are only using this extract (a kit will tend to have more of a flavour profile with different/non fermentable malt elements and not just LME) but that may be ok depending on the end result you want. As long as you add hops then it will be beer!

I believe the 1.2kg Mangrove Jacks LME is supposed to be equivalent to 1KG of sugar. If you use two packs to make 20 litres with a high attenuation yeast that munches up all the fermentable sugar, then in theory you could be looking at up to 5.9% ABV (will probably be a bit less though). You probably aren't going to end up with a lot of malt character if you are only using this extract (a kit will tend to have more of a flavour profile with different/non fermentable malt elements and not just LME) but that may be ok depending on the end result you want. As long as you add hops then it will be beer!
thanks, i was only going to make a hoppy lager anyway. if it works ill report lol.

I have 2 packs of 1.2kg Mangrove Jacks LME. I've only done kit beers so far (4 right now), and I want to make a Pilsner out of these packs.

So, are they the same "density" as the LME you'd get out of a kit? Will for example, 1.2KG make 20 litres (what's the OG)? Would like to know if anyone has tried this, otherwise I'll have to make a mess of it and experiement to find out :laugh8::laugh8:
I use the 1.2kg pouches in my beers. If you use 2 pouches in 20 litres your OG will be 1035. 3 pouches would make it 1053.

Or with 2 pouches you could make 15 litres with an OG of 1047.

Back