Mashtun Deadspace

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am in the process of making my mash tun using a eight gallon Coleman cooler box and have made a copper strainer the same as BB. I have just calculated my deadspace and its a massive 7 pints.

I am looking for some feedback from you guys to tell me if this is a little over the top. If it is, would it be a better idea to drill the cooler and go out through the bottom.

Cheers Neil

Thanks for the replies guys. Will try and upload a pick later. W#rki#g this evening.

You know what Tony, I thought of that one and then dismissed it as me being stupid, obviously not for a change.

Cheers Neil

The thing which you're using to drain the mash can lie on the bottom of the tun and, depending on how the holes/slots are arranged you can manufacture a syphon effect such that the tap need not be at the bottom of the tun but will draw from the bottom.

I have a similar coolbox (Igloo marine 48L jobbie) and I also have noticed a large amount of deadspace -despite me having a 22mm slotted manifold and having a syphon effect etc.

After having a long think about it, the losses are due to the shape of the coolbox and is largely unavoidable IMO. As these types of coolboxes are long and wide, it means the manifold starts to suck in air when the wort level drops to where the slots are. The circular ones like Unclepumble has for example are narrower (and thus deeper with the same volume of wort) and hence don't have as big surface area on the bottom.

I'm hoping I've tried to articulate that properly!

I'll try and upload a pic later of mine.

To word mr_spin's post another way (I think): the mash tun is shallower such that even though the level on the tun may be low, the volume of the deadspace is still large due to a large "footprint" of the mash tun. Don't forget some of the volume of the deadspace will be taken up by the grain itself.

ano said:
To word mr_spin's post another way (I think): the mash tun is shallower such that even though the level on the tun may be low, the volume of the deadspace is still large due to a large "footprint" of the mash tun. Don't forget some of the volume of the deadspace will be taken up by the grain itself.

exactly what I meant to say. :)

Pictures of my mashtun

PIC_0623.jpg
PIC_0624.jpg
PIC_0622.jpg

Any ideas guys

Cheers Neil

the slots need to be facing the bottom... You'll suck too much air through otherwise and it will get clogged up with grain easily. Also the slots look a little wide IMO.

Thanks for the reply Mr Spin

I know it sounds really thick, but up until now I didn't know that the slits had to be at the bottom :oops: :oops: :oops: .

The only thing I can say is that I used a cheaper Lidl version of a Dremmel with cutting discs that were only just over 1mm thick.

I will get there one day

:pray: :pray:

Yeah slots to the bottom and add a tube going lower than the cool box to create a syphon effect. that way it should suck out all the last bits lower than the tap :thumb:

Thanks MD.

You said add a tube going lower than the coolbox. Do you mean drill the bottom of the box, add a copper elbow with a tube running under the bottom with the ball valve attatched.

Cheers Neil

No Like Mr spins the downward facing pipe from the tap will make it syphon out of the tun. just like when your racking wines or beers.

corby_brewer said:
The dead space on my converterd 23ltr ASDA coolbox is 2ltrs.

I use the Asda cool box and only have 1ltr dead space using 22mm pipe.

:D :D :D :D :D

Immediate deadspace reduction from 7 pints to four.

I think with a little tinkering I should be able to bring it down a little more.

Happy days.

Thanks guys. :cheers: :thumb:

Another option is to fill the dead space with marbles / pebbles / whatever you can find. Made a big differance with mine.

Latest posts

Back