Missing Sub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fingers crossed they can be rescued but the experts on the radio are saying rescue subs that can go to that depth are few and far between and would take days to get to the site.

BBC News Summary​

1. Search teams are racing against time to find a tourist submersible that went missing during a dive to the wreck of the Titanic
  2. Two Pakistanis are among the five people on the vessel - businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman
  3. Another of those believed to be on board is British businessman and explorer Hamish Harding
  4. Contact with the small sub was lost about an hour and 45 minutes into its dive to the wreck site on Sunday
  5. As of Monday afternoon, it was thought the crew members had four days-worth of oxygen left at most
  6. Stockton Rush, chief executive of OceanGate - the firm behind the dive - is also being widely reported to be on the vessel
  7. French explorer Paul-Henry Nargeolet is thought to be on board, according to a Facebook post by Mr Harding before the dive started
  8. The Titanic wreck is located about 600km (370 miles) off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada

It doesn't seem like their odds are good, I can't imagine what's going through their mind right now, assuming they are still alive.

The sub seems a bit shoddy

This is indeed tragic - but the wreck should not be treated as a tourist attraction - it is the grave of 1500 people, and should be treated as such.
Alas we treat many such placed as tourist attractions, there are plenty of battle field tours.

This is indeed tragic - but the wreck should not be treated as a tourist attraction - it is the grave of 1500 people, and should be treated as such.
It's not something i'd do out of respect for those who perished. Yet people visit pompei and other places where large scale loss of life occurred. I suppose its a perspective of time since the tragedy?

It doesn't seem like their odds are good, I can't imagine what's going through their mind right now, assuming they are still alive.

The sub seems a bit shoddy

Alas we treat many such placed as tourist attractions, there are plenty of battle field tours.

I go to Ypres quite often to drink great beer , eat lovely food and at 8pm attend the last post as respect and thanks for all those whose sacrifice allowed us the freedom we have today.

Sad for the families but rhere does seem to be OT news footage, especially on the BBC. Something to do with them being billionaires? All those missing refugees don't get the same coverage ..

They are reporting hearing a regular banging noise coming from what they believe is the sub, so it looks like they are still alive the problem is how are they going to get to them if they are tangled up in the wreckage or something has gone wrong.

if they are tangled up in the wreckage
From a bit of reading about it, the general mission plan is "sink like a stone and hope to get somewhere near the wreck, then follow guidance from the surface to try to find it". Previous missions have spent hours looking for the wreck or not found it at all. The chances of hitting it bang-on and getting stuck in it are (I'm guessing here) pretty tiny. You would have hoped that they had planned for the eventuality that they would land directly on the wreck and not get snagged by it.

Also, given they lost contact with the surface 1h 45m into the dive, this is still (AFACT) in the window where they are sinking and not hit the bottom. So they should still have been able to use all the different mechanisms at their disposal to resurface after they lost contact before hitting the bottom and potentially getting snagged on something.

It appears the banging was only every half hour I think if I was down there I would be tapping out SOS a bit more often.

It appears the banging was only every half hour I think if I was down there I would be tapping out SOS a bit more often.

Apparently, the protocol for distress signals in a sub is to bang like hell for 3 minutes on the hour and at half past to differentiate from 'normal' noise from other wrecks etc moving/shifting with the currents

The ceo seemed quiet cavalier to me on all the footage ive seen of him and he took his passengers with him.

whilst I could have in theory afforded the cost of the trip there's no way you'd get me on anything venturing down more that 20 meters or so.

£195K buys you an awful lot of beer and IMO would be a better way to go.

Titan sub CEO dismissed safety warnings as 'baseless cries', emails show -​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65998914

1687540049529.png

Back