Mj juicy ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_8

new to beer brewing
Reaction score
I have a mj juicy ipa on the go just now started on the march 28th with a starting sg of 1050, I tested it today and its reading 1020 with still some krausen should I leave it till day 11 before adding the hops also what is the normal finishing so if this beer

I'm brewing my first NEIPA so no expert. I brewed and pitched the yeast on 25th March, OG 1.054. I added the dry hops after 5 days (30th March) after high Krausen but still fermenting. Checked gravity today and was 1.024 so I'm leaving it for another 2-3 days before I retest. I think it's got a few points still to go.
Edit: 1.024 should be 1.014. Bit of finger trouble :tinhat:

Last edited:
1.020 is pretty high, I dont know the grain bill but I would expect it should ferment lower, make sure your temps are in range. I personally dry hop after fermentation is done and the beer is chilled down. I dont want the hop enzymes breaking down long chain dextrins and starting another fermentation (Hop Creep) so I will add once beer is under 10degrees and the yeast is dormant.

NEIPAs are slightly different in that there is a school of thought that dry hopping at high krausen can induce biotransformation to create different flavour and aroma compounds, although it seems a lot of commercial brewers are not doing this anymore.

1.020 is pretty high, I dont know the grain bill but I would expect it should ferment lower, make sure your temps are in range. I personally dry hop after fermentation is done and the beer is chilled down. I dont want the hop enzymes breaking down long chain dextrins and starting another fermentation (Hop Creep) so I will add once beer is under 10degrees and the yeast is dormant.

NEIPAs are slightly different in that there is a school of thought that dry hopping at high krausen can induce biotransformation to create different flavour and aroma compounds, although it seems a lot of commercial brewers are not doing this anymore.
Thanks mate its only day 6 so ill leave it another few days and check the sg

Just checked my notes from when I did this kit last year. I dry hopped at 1.016 and it got down to 1.008 (possibly 1.010 as I was in a rush so somewhere between those) that’s when it was bottled.

Latest posts

Back