3rd all grain what's gone wrong.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing really.

Most of that trub will be separated from wort at some point, if you use less protofloc it'll get carried over to the FV and drop out with the yeast. Any that doesn't will drop out in the bottle.

The likelyhood is you'll now get less of a loss after fermentation. All these losses need recording and accommodating for in future batches.
Thanks. Yes, I'm pretty good at keeping notes. I just have to make less mistakes! Read the label instructions and learn from my notes.
I'll certainly be using less Protafloc in future brews.
Sometimes i forget to put it in at all, and i can honestly say i have not noticed a difference
I'm tempted to give it a miss next time

Sometimes i forget to put it in at all, and i can honestly say i have not noticed a
I agree. I’ve got to the end of a brew before now and discovered that I’d run out. It may have taken a little longer to drop clear but it turned out fine.

It's finding a balance between the two.

Too much protofloc can have a negative affect on head retention by removing desirable proteins.

Too much trub in the FV can carry more lipids (fats) into the beer, which can also reduce foam stability, plus cause haze and accelerate beer staling.
That's interesting and new to me, I always throw a full one in and never seem to get decent head retention, maybe I will pick up a pill cutter and put half in next time

I use this from CML small pinch between thumb and finger,
IMG_1944.jpeg

Back