My first AG BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacer

Reaction score
My first AG today - modified BIAB using my newly acquired electric boiler from Ebay. Recipe as follows:

Water treated with 1/2 Campden Tablet

3.5 kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Light Crystal Malt
25g EKG - 60 mins
25g EKG - 15 mins
1/2 tsp Irish Moss 10 mins
50g EKG @ Flameout

Method and Recipe concocted with advice on the forum - so here's hoping, watch this space!!

Thanks - I have only just started heated the water for mashing and weighing out the malt - early days!!

Good luck and always remember that even if things go a bit wonky you still end up with good beer, better than kits anyway, as I found out on my 1st :doh:

stacer said:
Bugger - dropped my glasses in the mash!!!

he he he ...ive not done that yet... :lol:

i did lose mine on the A1 once at 80mph... :wha:
i was a passenger , after a heavy nite out in sunderland , :tongue:
i opend the window to throw up.. stuck my head out and WHOOOOOSH they were gone... :doh:
i spent 3 days working in Edinburgh and never saw a thing.. :D

Thanks all - glasses recovered, brew finished and cooling before putting in FV. The only problem at the moment is that I don't know what I'm looking for having only don kits before - so here's hoping.

:cheers:

stacer said:
Bugger - dropped my glasses in the mash!!!

PMSL I have made some mistakes before but that was great. Should be a real eye opener when you taste it. Maybe you should call it Specsavers :rofl:

OG around 1.037 - not as high as I had hoped but good enough for a first attempt. :thumb:

Now I have a bit of a feel for it I am looking forward to my next brew. Perhaps a darker type of crystal malt to give more colour.

A very similar recipe to my AG#2. It's only been in the keg for a week but a cheeky taste shows great promise :thumb:
Did you do a mash out? After mashing for 90 minutes I heated to 78C whilst stirring. I got 1046 from 4Kg of MO for 23 litres.
Now I've done 3 AGs it's a pleasure to say "welcome to the darkside"!!!!

Hi Andrew,
Sorry for the delay in replying visitors staying for a few days so no time for computers etc.
No I didn't do a mash out - if that is heating at the end of the mash. Would this improve the extraction ?
:cheers:

Yes, a mashout is heating, but also stirring after the mash is finished. The heating is to stop the enzymes, I think. I got the idea from a website. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... php?t=4650 I think that the stirring is probably the most important part. It may release sugars which are stuck inside the remnants of grain. The website claims you can improve efficiency by "up to 5 points" so I thought it was well worth a try. I've found that heat can get trapped outside of the mash bag so you need to be vigorous in your stirring and squidge the sides of the bag to spread the heat as evenly as you can. I've done 70l of AG in 4 brews in 5 weeks. I'm trying to build up a stock of homebrew. Bottled beer just doesn't measure up any more. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back