My first attempt and it could all still go wrong??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester

Reaction score
I have just read another post about a possible cork problem and one reply mentioned sterilising them before insertion by using a kettle.

My heart sank. Why? Because I didn't give a single thought to sterilising the corks and now worry that the wine will spoil.

I haven't yet laid the wine (do I NEED to?) so there has been no actual contact yet. Should I replace the corks or is the chance of contamination slim?

Gutted!!

I have never sterilised my corks and have yet to lose a bottle of wine. Obviously it technically can happen, but it's not worth losing sleep over.

if your corks are not dirty, and stored in a sealed container before use they should be fine.
but I know that quite a few people dunk them in sterilising solution before using.
plus when wet they'll expand, to form a larger cork, getting a better seal in the bottle.

Thanks guys.

It's 20 bottles and it's not losing the wine per se that's the issue, more so the fact that my first attempt could be ruined by a silly mistake.

Ah well, we'll see!

Latest posts

Back