My first time - not plain sailing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning to bottle tomorrow.

Tried to take a gravity reading with 250ml measuring cylinder. Hydrometer is too big for this setup and hits the bottom. Never mind, I’ll sanitise it tomorrow and drop it in the FV before bottling.

Also decided to taste the sample. Very, very dry (all hops) very little body. Can I hope this will improve after bottling?
Yes I (we all?) have been through the hydrometer issue ...... though when I started brewing we didn't have the internet and I never used a hydrometer. Then everyone said you must have a hydrometer, but generally two weeks in the FV will produce a good beer.

Without carbonation a sample generally tastes, likes a flat beer ... it will get better leave for at least a couple of weeks in bottle.

So my latest error... (please next first timer read this thread and learn from my mistakes).

I've bottled everything tonight. Stupidly, I didn't test the capper I bought on ebay for this endevour. Seemingly it takes larger caps than standard crown caps. I now have 29 bottles of primed bottled beer that I can't seal properly.

I've left the caps resting on the bottles for tonight and ordered another capper for delivery tomorrow. Guessing best case I'm looking at some flat beer as I lose the carbonation. ( I have about 7L in PET and swingtop so will get something from this batch)

Any other tips for a short-term fix. Any hacks for applying crown caps without any equipment?

You won't loose the carbonation, assuming your adding sugar to the bottles. They will take about two weeks to build up. The risk is possible infections BUT don't panic that probably won't happen either.
The beer is primed already. Sounds like sealing the caps tomorrow night may be ok.

All capped. Fingers crossed for something drinkable in a few weeks.

Attachments

• 8ED17609-8147-4091-AA0E-CC3DA6D8F736.jpeg
    8ED17609-8147-4091-AA0E-CC3DA6D8F736.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Well, I'm running short on self-control so I've sampled a smaller one (It's only been 5 days - I know I know!)

It's a lot better than it was when I sampled out of the bucket! There's a few bubbles formed and there's a now a malty body to it which was missing in the bucket. Still quite sharp/dry/hoppy maybe that will mellow or maybe it's the recipe.

There's still a lingering medicinal taste. Guessing that maybe chlorine from the tap water?

Day 14 in bottles so have moved to the cellar.

Sampled another couple over the weekend. One from pet one from glass. Pet is carbonated nicely, glass wasn’t so good. Guessing I lost some CO2 by delaying the capping.

Mouthfeel of the properly carbonated one is good and it’s not too bad on the palate. Finish is still not great. Hoping for a bit of an improvement from clearing but don’t think I’ll be using my tap water again.

Sampled another couple over the weekend. One from pet one from glass. Pet is carbonated nicely, glass wasn’t so good. Guessing I lost some CO2 by delaying the capping.

Mouthfeel of the properly carbonated one is good and it’s not too bad on the palate. Finish is still not great. Hoping for a bit of an improvement from clearing but don’t think I’ll be using my tap water again.
Nothing wrong with tap water , I have used nothing else . As someone wiser than me once said. If it's good enough to drink it's good enough to make beer ..wait a another week and see how it has improved even more .

You could try using a campden tablet in your tap water....I leave it overnight then brew. Had the typical home brew twang before using the tablet and nothing since. 👍

Funny you should say that. I was making just kits and started using campden tabs. Made a massive difference to tap water, list that "twang". Have now invested in a boiler for AG so will boil first as hour water on the Jurassic coast is so hard it could carry a flick knife.

Happy to report that, 5 weeks on from bottling day, this beer has significantly improved. The medicinal notes have cleared up and the hoppyness is back in it's place.

Perhaps a colder week in the cellar has helped.

Thanks to all who chipped in and advised.

On to brew 2...

I was just planning to do the kit plus 1kg Muntons brew enhancer but I'm open to persuasion... Why should I add treacle? What will it do to the beer?

It adds flavour....perhaps do as you intend and if you do it again try the treackle and see if you enjoy the change ..benefits of homebrew. There is always another brew 😉

Back