NCB Yeast Trial Brewday 22.12.11 - 1 Brew, 6 Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I had a pretty full brewday yesterday, a 150ltr brew split into 6 FVs & 6 different yeasts, all 6 FVs are now sat in the same conditions, & will be transferred to Cornies when fermentation is done.

The Northern Craft Brewers will be holding a meeting @ Heald Green Village hall on the 28th January, where all 6 beers will be sampled & scored, at the end we will collate what people think of the 6 brews & determine the differences the 6 yeasts bring to the same recipe. (if you're in the NCB catchment and want to join us at the end of Jan you're welcome to come)

The recipe for the yeast trial brew was ( a hopefully, nice English bitter with fuggles and goldings)

Traditional English Bitter yeast trial Recipe

Batch Size (L): 150.00 Wort Size (L): 150.00
Total Grain (kg): 29.10
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.38
Anticipated SRM: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 40.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.8 27.00 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.2 2.10 kg. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
120.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 7.00 15.1 First WH
138.00 g. Fuggle Whole 6.10 16.8 60 min.
60.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 7.00 8.4 60 min.

Yeast
batch split 6 ways yeasts for each 25l batch will be
1/ Nottingham
2/ SO5
3/SO4
4/ Brewlabs Thames valley 2
5/Brewlabs Burton 1
6/Brewlabs Yorkshire 1

And the (poor selection but I was Busy) Photos
Sparge
a8419983.jpg

First Wort Hopping
9a6d43b6.jpg

Filling 6 FV's with well oxygenated Wort
17468796.jpg

THE 6 YEASTS TO BE USED
93990ceb.jpg

THE BREAK OG1052
51d5f1e3.jpg

UP

Looking good Shane.
Is that the theme for the competiton then, English ale, Goldings, Fuggles. ?

cheers hb

home brewer said:
Looking good Shane.
Is that the theme for the competiton then, English ale, Goldings, Fuggles. ?

cheers hb

Competition? the January Meet is a tasting of the 6 beers, evaluate and a guess which yeast in each Meeting.

& maybe more :D but not a competition, The Next NCB Competition is on March 31st, an English IPA competition at the
Saltaire Brewery Shipley, it will be a fair competition too I have over 20 entries already. Details on the Northern Craft Brewers Website

UP

I would be really interested in coming down to have a sample as I am attempting to compare yeasts over the next few brews.. and basically you have brewed most of the yeasts I fancied doing?!

Darcey said:
I would be really interested in coming down to have a sample as I am attempting to compare yeasts over the next few brews.. and basically you have brewed most of the yeasts I fancied doing?!

Your welcome to come, & join in the sampling, on the 28th January, meet at Heald Green Village hall 12 noon for a 1pm start.

The afternoon will be sampling of each brew, as a judge would judge a beer (a fun learning exercise if you have never done it) we judge in groups of 4-5 a table so there is plenty of discussion and banter.

We will then compare everyone's results at the end and declare the preference 1-6 at which point we will then reveal which yeast is which.

It should be a really informative meeting, and as the brews have all come from one batch and are all being fermented under exactly the same conditions, the flavor differences will only be down to the yeast, therefore it should be a much better indicator than a lot of the Home brew based trials done before.

If you want to improve your brewing, and want to learn at the same time don't miss this meeting.

Bottle swaps and sampling of each others beers will also be encouraged on the day, :D

UP

Bru4u said:
Nottingham or SO5 will take No.1, busy day UP :thumb:
can you show us a pic of the aeration, it looks simple and very effective

I can but not today, I have moved my brewery to the other side of Town, the aeration device, is in short a 100mm long piece of 15mm copper squashed on the end to make a flat very narrow nozzle, & it is very effective, (you do need to be pumping the wort though for the best results).

UP

Latest posts

Back