Ne'er Day Brew - Dunfsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
As my tradition dictates, I am brewing tomorrow morning and given the temperatures outside I am going to try my first Pilsner. I have a couple of sachets of Saflager W34/70 so I am going to chuck these in and see how I get on.

Dunfsner.jpg

jonewer said:
Looks good! Never brewed a lager before, is that a lot of hops for a pilsner or am I just being ignorant?

From what I understand I Pilsners have a decent hop character. I looked at Aleman's Bohemian Pilsner recipe and also one of the US forums as a guide. There is a lot of malt in there so unless I get the balance it might be a bit sweet.

What a cold morning, the ball valve in my mash tun was frozen so I had to tease that open with warm water. Also the outside tap is frozen this morning and I need it for my CFC later (it was fine last night so hopefully I can get that going later in the morning).

All mashed in for 9:10am. Not as early as hoped but fairly good considering I am a little bit groggy from last night. :cheers:

Well done Dunfie, happy new year & have a great brewday :thumb:

Thanks Wez and a Happy New Year to you too. Didn't expect to see you at this hour. :clap:

Just dropped my thermometer and smashed it. :roll: Going to have to guestimate the sparge temperature. :?

Dunfie said:
Thanks Wez and a Happy New Year to you too. Didn't expect to see you at this hour. :clap:

:lol: got young uns so no choice!

Dunfie said:
Just dropped my thermometer and smashed it. :roll: Going to have to guestimate the sparge temperature. :?

Use your elbow :lol:

Good luck with the brewday Dunfie :thumb:
No thermometer will make for interesting work ;)

tubby_shaw said:
Good luck with the brewday Dunfie :thumb:
No thermometer will make for interesting work ;)

I think I did okay with the sparging but I'll need to get a new one before I brew again. Oh, and my elbow is killing me. :whistle:

Vossy1 said:
:lol:
Hope it turns out well D, happy new year :thumb:

Thanks Vos, happy new year to you and Keeley.

It turned out a good day. A little bit better efficiency than expected so it will have a bit of a kick to it. :D

Nice brew day mate yet another doing a New years day brew makes for 4 of us today then, Hope it tastes as good as the brew looked. May have to do a lager / pilsner myself soon while its cold enough to ferment at the low temps required.

Fermentation has a bit slow overnight so I checked the fermentis website and noticed this on the W34/70 fact sheet.

Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C, ideally 12C.

I had set mine to 8C so I have set the thermostat to 10C to see if that gets things moving a bit.

Kermit The Grog said:
superb way to start the new year
ktg
how long till they are ready?

Indeed it was although it was absolutely baltic up here. I wouldn't expect to be drinking mine until mid march as it will need some lagering in the cold weather. However there will need to be some quality assurance work along the way. ;)

Yes thanks. There was a good covering over it this morning. Raising it a couple of degrees seemed to do the trick. :cool:

Latest posts

Back