NEIPA - advice on when to cold crash please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRegent

Regular.
Reaction score
I've currently got my first NEIPA in the fermenter (a fermentasaurus snub nose). It's been in the fermenter for c 10 days I think and the spunding valve has been set to a fairly constant 10-12 PSI. I did the single dry hop after 3 days, so the hops have been present for a little over a week.

I took a gravity reading three days ago and it was about 5 or 6 points off the recommended FG. As you can see from the attached photo, I've got a tube running from the spunding valve into a bottle of sanitiser to check for ongoing activity. A bubble of CO2 seems to be released once or twice a second, so still lots of CO2 being released and that rate seems to have been constant for the past couple of days without slowing. In the photos you can (hopefully) see that there is still a layer of yeast and hop matter floating on the surface. I'm not sure whether the yeasty layer is because it hasn't finished yet, or because it is mixed in with the hops which is stopping it from dropping, or even whether this is a characteristic of London Ale III. The question is - should I be more patient or should I cold crash now? I'm normally happy to wait, but I don't want to leave the hops on the beer for too long and lose aroma, or get the fabled "grassiness". Let me know what you think if you have experience of this situation.

Thanks in advance.

20200903_093425.jpg
20200903_093731.jpg

I would give it a few more days just to finish off fermenting. 10 days of dry hop isn't OTT but personally I wouldn't want to go further than that so would cold crash then and transfer straight to keg to finish off. If you are bottling then I would still cold crash but transfer to secondary and check for stable gravity before bottling.

Latest posts

Back