New Brewer and need it strong!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannoga

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Our rugby team has added a "Brewfest" to their annual social calendar, this is the first year and this is my first brew.

As you can imagine we're all quite competitive. our brews will be judged on a number of different things, one of which is strength. We've all been given brew kits,I have the Brewmaker Old English Ale.

My aim this year is to try and get this baby as stong as possible whilst not ruining the taste too much. Other than what's in the kit, what can I do?

Thanks,

Dan

Don't bother with adding sugar and add spray dried malt extract instead g for g , prob use a medium dried malt , however add between 500g to 1000g extra if you want it stronger to the fermenting bucket by boiling it in a pan of water for a few minutes (add when water hot and stir, when dissolved boil for a few mins then done). And if you want better tasting results buy a good yeast (kit yeast are often poor for taste good for hardiness for long store shelf life) check out recipes on top left of forum page next to the malt miller for a similar ale recipe and you could try one of there yeasts .

Latest posts

Back