New Member from Forres, Moray

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Python15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there, very happy to be a member of the forum. My name is Tam and I first started home brewing in the late 80's but got rid of all my gear when we moved house in 2000. I have since decided to give it another go and have noticed things have move on considerably from the old days. I mostly just brew beer kits but have noticed on this forum that people enjoy tweeking these. Look forward to giving this a go!

Hi there, very happy to be a member of the forum. My name is Tam and I first started home brewing in the late 80's but got rid of all my gear when we moved house in 2000. I have since decided to give it another go and have noticed things have move on considerably from the old days. I mostly just brew beer kits but have noticed on this forum that people enjoy tweeking these. Look forward to giving this a go!
Hi Tam and welcome. I'm also in Forres and have a very similar brew history to yours, did some early 90's, stopped, re-started during lockdown. Where do you get your stuff from? Potential delivery savings in a wee Forres co-op.
Cheers
Mick

Hi Tam and welcome. I'm also in Forres and have a very similar brew history to yours, did some early 90's, stopped, re-started during lockdown. Where do you get your stuff from? Potential delivery savings in a wee Forres co-op.
Cheers
Mick
I'd be up for this as well. I'm in forres most weeks.
I normally buy from crafty maltsters whose parcelforce costings scale in a strange way. It's a great malt though and I've used their ale malt for everything from pilsners to imperial stouts.

We've malting on our doorstep up here though but I doubt they'd sell direct to the likes of us?

I'd be up for this as well. I'm in forres most weeks.
I normally buy from crafty maltsters whose parcelforce costings scale in a strange way. It's a great malt though and I've used their ale malt for everything from pilsners to imperial stouts.

We've malting on our doorstep up here though but I doubt they'd sell direct to the likes of us?
Ah! But you're a "proper" brewer. I'm just a kit and plastic bucket man so, apart from sanitiser and bottle tops, I wouldn't think we shop in the same shops.

Ah! But you're a "proper" brewer. I'm just a kit and plastic bucket man so, apart from sanitiser and bottle tops, I wouldn't think we shop in the same shops.
Where do you get your kits from? On the odd occasion I do so I go to Farm & Household stores in Inverness. Pay a bit more but I'd rather do that and they stay open (I get my s03 gas from them)

Another warm Scottish welcome, despite it being wet and driech at the moment at least here in the central belt! Mind you, I shouldn't complain, I've just checked and your a fair bit colder than us just now 🥶❄️

Where do you get your kits from? On the odd occasion I do so I go to Farm & Household stores in Inverness. Pay a bit more but I'd rather do that and they stay open (I get my s03 gas from them)
Same as you F&H where I can but I also use the online sites for bulk and variety. I found out that the Bishopmill chemist in Elgin did homebrew stuff just at the same time as they decided to stop. Lucky eh!

F&H is great for picking up new hydrometers immediately, when they fall off my countertop and smash into 25,000 pieces 😂
I did get a ton of bottles recently during their winter sale. That made 'em quite cheap!
We will get wine kits from them too and wine improver and other things for making country wines from them too.

I started this hobby because I was wandering around F&H and my husband and I wandered into the homebrew section and said, 'That seems like something we should get into' - (We grow our own vegetables, keep chickens, can food, etc). He likes to make wine kits still ,but I am the beer maker. I was hooked. As an engineer the process control, the chemistry, the shiny kit, the measurements, etc all draw me in. Of course you get something nice to drink too!

F&H is great for picking up new hydrometers immediately, when they fall off my countertop and smash into 25,000 pieces 😂
I did get a ton of bottles recently during their winter sale. That made 'em quite cheap!
We will get wine kits from them too and wine improver and other things for making country wines from them too.

I started this hobby because I was wandering around F&H and my husband and I wandered into the homebrew section and said, 'That seems like something we should get into' - (We grow our own vegetables, keep chickens, can food, etc). He likes to make wine kits still ,but I am the beer maker. I was hooked. As an engineer the process control, the chemistry, the shiny kit, the measurements, etc all draw me in. Of course you get something nice to drink too!
Yes, he's got quite an eclectic mix of stuff in F&H. The Range is also not bad. They were doing swing top bottles for £12 a dozen. Haven't seen them on the shelves for a while but they used to offer an order into the store to pick up for an extra £3.

I first got into the beer and wine kit making back in the early 90's. I think it was financial expediency. I can't remember making anything good except for a couple of Prohibition kits, peach schnapps and cherry brandy. I barely sniffed the peach as Mrs MG was quite the fan of it but the cherry was particularly nice as a mixer in vodka. After drifting out of it I decided to give it another go when we were in lockdown. I have to say, the kits had improved out of all recognition during my gap years and I'm producing some really nice beer now. I've never tried the all grain brewing that you do. I am drawn to the shiny kit but it comes at quite a cost and I don't know if any improvement in product would justify the outlay. Plus it does seem to be a lot more faffy than the "instant" gratification of chucking a big bag of goo into a bucket of water and messing around with it for a couple of months. But I suppose I'm just a craftsman. Cheers :onechug:

Another warm Scottish welcome, despite it being wet and driech at the moment at least here in the central belt! Mind you, I shouldn't complain, I've just checked and your a fair bit colder than us just now 🥶❄️
You've obviously never heard of the morayshire micro-climate.

Latest posts

Back