New toy - brew belt controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunned Monkey

Reaction score
Someone on here recommended the use of an aquarium temperature controller. Armed with this information, i visited eBay and was soon relieved of a whopping £14.80. A week later, all the way from Hong Kong, arrived this little unit, now wired up to my brewbelt and keeping my brew at between 23.5 and 24 degrees (it's a Coopers kit). I got a bit innovative with the sensor wire because I don't have a grommet for it to go directly through the lid (yet). I'm a happy bunny and hoping keeping a better constant temperature will mean a more complete fermentation

FV_temp.jpg

Temp control is great if you can manage it. Nearer 20c though would be better, 24c is a tad on the high side :thumb:

You could set it at 21 then :D

Fermenting too high a temp can give some 'funky' flavours thats all.

I figured that given their native climate, Coopers can't expect customers to be able to supply a low temperature so their yeast is "tuned" for a higher range. Just for you though, I've lowered the target to 22 :D

i'm loving the control you have :cheers:

Seriously, you did the right thing. We salute you.

If it's the same as mine DON'T LOSE THE INSTRUCTIONS. Once you know how it works, it's very simple but I truly could not figure it out without them!

the sensor on mine is just a little sealed pastic knobble on the wire end. It has to contact the brew one way or another, and is easy to sanitise. Plus mine reads from the top middle, not the side ;)

Great little temp control. I bought 2 prob from the same hong kong bloke you did!
I have mine set up on a couple of fridges. Works great with the fridge and a tube heater. Keeps constant temp all year round. :thumb:

How long did it take to arrive from hong kong? i ordered one on the 15th of this month...still not here. Is this normal?

evanvine said:
Stunned Monkey said:
Plus mine reads from the top middle, not the side

Really! :eek:
I wonder what subtle difference that makes. :wha:

Brew belt heats by convection from the circumference so the centre is where to take the most accurate reading.

Back