newbie - Corny Keg Regulator help needed!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingers76

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a complete newbie who has tired of the bottling process already!

As a result I've had a spending spree and purchased a re-conditioned corny keg with disconnects, 4 meters of gas line (3/8 I think) and a bottle of CO2. When purchasing the CO2 a I bought a regulator but after further reading I'm pretty sure I need to take it back as there is no psi reading on the outlet gauge.

IMG_0287.jpg

So my question is which regulator do I need and where do I get it from? I have seen this from Norman on ebay but thought it best to seek advise before potentially shelling out £50 on the wrong piece of kit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/CORN...0068&clkid=6049608020148236132&_qi=RTM1793693

Any advise/guidance/suggestions is much appreciated!

Your outlet gauge doesn't add up to me. 1 bar is about 14.7 psi. If you look at the inlet gauge 100 bar is about 1400 psi. The outlet gauge just doesn't equate to this. Instead of a new regulator, get a different gauge? I should imagine it would be cheaper....

Closer inspection - it's litres per minute and cubic feet per hour.

Don't be disheartened - where did you buy it from? If it's 'face to face' they should understand. If it's from the internet, I would like to think it won't be much different. Explain your concerns and see what they come back with. Good luck.

It seems that regulator (at least the gauge) only controls flow rate, not pressure. You MUST get one that controls (lowers) pressure. If your tank pressure goes directly to your outlet you'll be exploding kegs. Not really, there are safety valves etc. but you get the idea. The tank has VERY MUCH too high pressure. Change to a suitable pressure regulator and be safe.

Hard to tell, but by the knurls on the black central bit it looks like it's meant to turn, to adjust the flow rate. If a pressure gauge was on there instead, you should be able to see/increase/decrease pressure. You are 100% right though, high pressure gas is very dangerous and if there's any doubt at all I would seek the advice of a reputable supplier/dealer. Worst case, buy one from the site already suggested.

Just to reiterate the above: DO NOT ATTACH this regulator to your corny. As stated it regulates the flow rate so effectively if you connect it up and leave it you would fill your corny up (albeit slowly) with all of the CO2 from the bottle (probably around 1000psi) = broken corny. a regulator which regulates the output pressure in PSI and Bar will stop the gas flow when it reaches the set pressure.

I have just bought this one and it works perfectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parweld-C...779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a4a35de3

you will also need this connector (assuming you have 3/8" gas line)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151148482539?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Plus if you have bought 3/8" line and a disconnect you will need jg 3/8" barb x 1/4"female thread.

Unfortunately I can't find one of those on ebay!

Questions about various gas fittings have come up over the past couple of days. Below is a caution from HBF.

Dear HBF members - just a word of caution - the use of high pressure gas can be dangerous if fixtures, fittings, receptacles and any associated equipment are modified, adapted or otherwise 'tinkered with', or if all instructions are not adhered to. If in doubt, speak to a reputable supplier/retailer for their advice.

So please be careful, and HBF cannot be held responsible for any advice, correct or otherwise, that might be given on the forum.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The regulator was returned and refunded and I managed to get the correct kit.

Just need to get a fridge now for the corny and a nice beer tap!

Latest posts

Back