Newbie killed his first batch ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For lagers it's Cornelius Kegs, they're stainless steel ex-soft drink dispensing kegs. Quite expensive and need a gas supply - don't know anything more about them 'cos I don't have any. I'd say they're not for beginners.
Bottles on the other hand are great. You can use plastic or glass as long as what they held before was fizzy, need a crown capper to use glass but they're under a tenner. I begged a weeks worth of empties from a local pub.
I'm convinced the beer's better from glass bottles than a plastic barrel - and I have tried putting the same brew into both. The downside is that cleaning, sterilising and bottling 40 odd bottles is a bit of a chore and takes a lot longer than one barrel.

I have just looked at the cornelious keg and it looks like the perfect lager keg. Looks simple to use to.
One thing it looks very good for is being able to move the brew with no worries of moving the sedement, as the batch is added after secondary fermentation when the beers is nice and clear.
Then its gassed up with co2 in the canister
Just wandered if a second ferntation is really needed, because as long as the beers settled, when transfered it then gets the co2.
might invest in one of those :)

andee said:
I have much to learn, so am I right in thinking that the FG will then give me a % alcohol in the brew when I use the tool ?
It will not be accurate though, as I did not take a reading before adding yeast.

It would if you had a proper Original Gravity reading, but you don't.
Just let it go until the reading is steady for 2 days.
It'll have alcohol in it, don't worry about how much for your first time doing this.
It won't be puny and it's unlikely to be loopyjuice.

ok heres the latest on my ( TEA LOOK ALIKE LAGER )
There appears to be no bubbling now, which surprises me as its only been going 3 days
As you know I did not take a reading of the gravity when I first made up the batch, but after day 1 it was 1018
Now after 3 days its reading 1010 but as I said appears to have no activity
I will check it again tomorrow, but if its the same reading can it be possible its done ? seems to quick
The batch temp is 22c, but was at 24c before I moved it and been at 22c for over a day now

Back