Newbies micro brewery frame dimensions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killick Greenie

Reaction score
Hi,for those who asked here's the dimensions of the frame I made for my set up.

I used 25 mm box section with 2 mm wall thickness for the main frame and the infills were 20 mm and 2 mm thick.

I built the small frame first, dimensions 945 mm x 450 mm. I tried Pythagorus and swearing to square things up but gave up and used magnets :party:
IMG_1548.jpg

Here's the top frame with it's legs and infills attached. These legs are 480 mm and the infills are centered to fit my Burco boiler
IMG_1554.jpg

Next up is the bottom frame and short legs which are 400 mm. Same routine here for infills. This is where your boiler is going to sit.
IMG_1555.jpg

The longest legs are welded on next and they are 900 mm and then the whole lot welded up.
IMG_1558.jpg

This will give you a good idea of how the measurements were arrived at! The width of the beast is 450 mm
IMG_1561.jpg

Still to fit are the castors then its a paint job (silver hammerite smooth). Can I apologise to all pro welders because I'm sure I could have done this differently :oops:

I have added a few more bits since then including a balance valve as suggested by UP. I've calibrated the thermometers and fitted them. I've also had a go at filling the mash tun with hot water, started out at 66.5C and ended up at 60C after two and a half hours, is this ok?

I've ordered a Gob Hoblin kit from Barley Bottom so I'm now officially gagging to get started and thanks for all the help guys :cheers:

Nice looking job, can't see any close up's of the welds so can't comment on them but it doesn't have to be pretty to do it's job, and the grinder always helps ;)

I hope the castors are going to have brakes on them you may find the trolley moving around when you don't want it to :)

KG
To my untrained eye, that looks an excellent, practical and efficient job!
Bet it looks a picture when it's painted, well done!
Oh how I wish I had room in my Brewery/Garage for something similar, even with castors it's a no go situation.
I will just have to dream and continue with my pulleys.

muddydisco said:
Nice looking job, can't see any close up's of the welds so can't comment on them but it doesn't have to be pretty to do it's job, and the grinder always helps ;)

I hope the castors are going to have brakes on them you may find the trolley moving around when you don't want it to :)

Here's a couple of the weld pics. As you can see I am at an early stage in my... ahem :oops: welding career.

IMG_1563.jpg

Here's another one
IMG_1550.jpg

And here's a couple of today's jobs
Balance valve as recommended by UP
IMG_1621.jpg

And finally, my IC
IMG_1632.jpg

Any tips on the welding will be gratefully received :cheers:

31bb3 said:
Cor thats better welding than i could do mine would end up like bird ****
Nice job KG

Thanks, I appreciate that. What I haven't shown you though is the pile of scrapped welds that is so big its causing a magnetic anomaly :grin:
:cheers:

No too bad Think you need to slow the wire feed a little and make the side to side movements a little larger, and weld to the end of the joint ;) But it does help with a nice fancy mask that is automatic

muddydisco said:
No too bad Think you need to slow the wire feed a little and make the side to side movements a little larger, and weld to the end of the joint ;) But it does help with a nice fancy mask that is automatic

Welding to the end of the joint is currently my dream! I seem to drift off and I'm never sure where the weld actually is.

I'll try the wire speed and increase the side to side movements. Thanks

KG

Looks great! : ) Those magnets are good but a right pain to keep clean - it's a pity they're not electromagnets with an on/off switch so that all the splatter didn't stick to them :D

Killick Greenie said:
I've also had a go at filling the mash tun with hot water, started out at 66.5C and ended up at 60C after two and a half hours, is this ok?

That'll do fine. You'll find it holds its temperature better once there's grain in there anyway.

Looking good :thumb:

onelegout said:
Looks great! : ) Those magnets are good but a right pain to keep clean - it's a pity they're not electromagnets with an on/off switch so that all the splatter didn't stick to them :D

Now that is a brilliant idea :thumb:

Phil said:
Killick Greenie said:
I've also had a go at filling the mash tun with hot water, started out at 66.5C and ended up at 60C after two and a half hours, is this ok?

That'll do fine. You'll find it holds its temperature better once there's grain in there anyway.

Thanks. The Gob Hoblin kit arrived today from Barley Bottom roll on the weekend :party:

Your web site looks great and having seen your brewery I'm tempted to keep mine under wraps :oops:

Killick Greenie said:
Phil said:
[quote="Killick Greenie":3uhl9l4t]I've also had a go at filling the mash tun with hot water, started out at 66.5C and ended up at 60C after two and a half hours, is this ok?

Thanks. The Gob Hoblin kit arrived today from Barley Bottom roll on the weekend :party:

Your web site looks great and having seen your brewery I'm tempted to keep mine under wraps :oops:[/quote:3uhl9l4t]
Don't be scared of showing your kit off whatever its state =) It's liberating.

Latest posts

Back