nice and lump free mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
How do cafe/pubs/Restaraunts . get perfect lump free fluffy mash potatoes. i love it esp with liver and onions. made some today and although nice it had the odd lump. cateres etc must have a machine to get it perfect can't see some bloke masking it by hand even in a greasy spoon cafe .
apart from using instant which i had once. although nice and smooth its not the real thing is it.

Big steaming pan wedged between your feet, add milk, butter and seasoning, take masher and pound the life out of it until your knackered, avoid sweating profusely in to the pan.... Serve to customers

Repeat twice daily.

At home frozen mash wins with the kids, with a bit of extra milk to stop it sticking when heating up

I mash by hand but make sure the potatoes are just right not undercooked and not disintegrating. Add plenty of butter and a drop of milk and mash like mad. Failing that I believe a potato ricer is good and using baked instead of boiled potatoes helps and the potato variety will helps as well, i think you need floury varieties not waxy (but I may be wrong).

:thumb:

Just asked swmbo what a potatoe ricer was and that sounds how they get it right.
I do add butter and a drop of milk salt and sometimes pepper and mash like hell but allways get some lumps.
But i just love mash tatee.
:cheers:
CIB

RobWalker said:
restaurants? probably use smash at the ones i go to.

Hi Rob. I had a pub meal once. Liver onions gravy and Mashed Potatoe. It was smash as soon as i tatsted it i said to swmbo thats not real mash it's smash. It's ok don't get me wrong but one can tell the difference.
Glad to say the pub was not in my county but from afar.

Get the spuds nice and fluffy by boiling as long as necessary, add milk and butter, hammer seven bells out the spuds with a masher for 5 minutes and serve.

For whatever reason I never seem to get lumps :party:

You could use a ricer or a mill but a decent masher will do you proud just the same. Cheap ones, not so much.

Provided you've cooked your potatoes sufficiently, and they are flourly spuds, with a decent masher you shouldn't get lumps.

Just mash well, add butter and cream, then whisk on the heat to break some of the gluten bonds and make it fluffy.

Thanks for all the feedback. I seem to be doing all that has been said but still get the odd lump. More mashing i think is what is needed.

Rob i add the butter and milk when the potatoes have come straight off the boil just before i start the mashing.

Next time I'm going to mash for a good five minutes and see where that gets me. :thumb:

Surely some pubs etc use instant mashed 'taters ?

Personally I boil very starchy potatoes (never waxy) and a mash them to bits to get it smooth, then a whisk to make them silken..

39 years practise.....it eventually works... :D

now if she could only get the darned custard perfect without having to strain it....

Back