Northern Brewer Chinook IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
Looking back through the threads on here it was July 2016 when I last brewed any beer, although I have done bits and bats of wine since then. At Xmas I got a surprise prezzy of a Northern Brewer Deluxe Kit and it was the Chinook IPA, so today I got my **** back in gear and got it made. Sort of. Ish. Maybe?

Might sound a bit strange but all my limited experience has come from doing AG brews so I read the kit instructions and then read about BIAB and maxi BIAB and then went a bit off-piste, mainly due to only having a small pot.

- the grain went in a bag and went in 4 litres of water for the mash which lasted 1 hour
- I dunk sparged the bag in 3 litres of water and this went into the pot
- In went the DME and the and the malt syrup and got this to the boil
- 1 1/2oz of Chinook at 60 mins, 1/2oz Chinook at 10 mins, 1/2oz Chinook at 1 min, will dry hop with 1/2oz Chinook
- Ended up with about 7.5/8 litres and topped this up with water to 14 litres which gave me an OG of 1.044

Kit details are:
- 0.75lbs Belgian Cara B
- 0.25lbs Briess Caramel 120
- 6lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1lb Pilsen dry malt extract
- 3oz Chinook hops

I used all the ingredients (apart from 1/2oz of the hops) and sort of scaled the water quantities given in the instructions but it seemed like an awful lot of dilution at the end (the recipe called for at least 2 gallons of dilution from a start volume of 3.5 gallons). The recipe said to do 1oz at 60, 0.5 at 10. 0.5 at 1, and then 1oz dry hop but I decided to sacrifice 1/2 oz of dry hop for an extra 1/2oz at 60 because of some of the stuff I read about maxi BIAB.

Does anyone have any gut feelings or magic calculations about how this might turn out? It felt like I was winging it a bit but using some common sense but I can accept I could well have just been making a complete balls of it. Something drinkable about 4% (going off the OG) would be a bit of a result I reckon.

Latest posts

Back