Oak chips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taximania

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Newbie and been brewing for under a year.

Mainly lagers and ales and Woodfordes and Milestone kits.
Absolutely bomb proof.

But the wife love her reds and so have brewed some Jubilee Chiantis with great results.
Started drinking one batch after a 12 week wait and absolutely superb to the palate

OK OK I'm waffling so back to my question.

Just bought a Beaverdale Barolla for a change.
Brewed it tonight and it said to add the oak chips at the beginning before fermentation
Not too sure if the Mrs would like the oak flavour so I played safe and added just half the packet for now.

And the question is....

The oak chips actually looked like oak chips and when I experimented and tasted them I was choking for a while.
So if they are real oak chips and they did indeed float in the brew after stirring like real wood does then how will they dissipate from the eventual brew to achieve clarity and not make her die from a blocked windpipe.
Are they specialized brewing chips that dissolve or will they come out when I secondary ?
Serious question by the way and one I cant find the answer for on the internet :confused:

Thanks all

Taxi

I make a rose kit regularly and it has a sachet of oak chips, the instructions tell you to add them with the yeast, once stirred in they don't float again, I would add the rest or the wine will not taste as it should.

Latest posts

Back