Oatmeal milk stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, did this yesterday in a brewster beacon 40 litre machine:

3.5 kilos pale malt
200g chocolate malt
200g Crystal malt
70g roasted barly
250g flaked oats

Mashed at 67oc for 1 hour

24g challenger at 75 min
10g EKG at 15
1 protofloc at 15 min
200g lactose powder at 10 min

Ended up with 20 litres of wort and an OG of 1052.
Rehydrate 1 sachet of mangrove jacks empire ale yeast.

Only issue I've had is it's roasting today and the temperature is up to 24 degrees but hopefully an extended fermentation will clear anything sinister up.

Have you made it before?

Can you guarantee good results with this recipe? :D

I'm sure you know as well as I do! :laugh8: But I guess porridge beer could catch on...

Thinking about giving it a go, anyway.

I had a beer called breakfast toast from 71 brewing in Dundee and it was delicious. An oatmeal, milk stout sonic its anywhere near that ill be happy

Only issue I've had is it's roasting today and the temperature is up to 24 degrees but hopefully an extended fermentation will clear anything sinister up.

I think you’ll be ok, the yeast are likely still in the lag phase, the increased temp will only help that along and they won’t be producing flavour compounds. Hopefully it‘ll cool down a bit for the main period of fermentation. If you chilled the wort to 16-18C before pitching, hot daytime spells aren’t going to make big differences to the temp in your FV. I brew in the garage and its a steady 15-18 in there round the clock at the minute.
In any event, it’s a style that will hide any excess esters quite comfortably if you do get some.

I think you’ll be ok, the yeast are likely still in the lag phase, the increased temp will only help that along and they won’t be producing flavour compounds. Hopefully it‘ll cool down a bit for the main period of fermentation. If you chilled the wort to 16-18C before pitching, hot daytime spells aren’t going to make big differences to the temp in your FV. I brew in the garage and its a steady 15-18 in there round the clock at the minute.
In any event, it’s a style that will hide any excess esters quite comfortably if you do get some.
I chilled the wort to 20 then pitched and tge next morning the temp of the wort was 24 but this evening its down to 20 again. The airlock was going crazy tge first 36 hours but now is almost non-existent. I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow but regardless I'll be leaving it for two weeks in the fermentation bucket.

I should known it was an omen when I forgot the oats in this oatmeal stout! asad.

Half-way through the hop boil when I noticed them sitting the worktop! What to do? I decided to turn off the boil, bung the oats in a bag, and bung them in and leave them to steep for an hour or so. That might not do much, but the idea of boiling the oats with the hops just seemed wrong, somehow.

Anyway, two days later, the yeast looks remarkably un-vigorous. Admittedly, because of the ambient temp, it is at the top end of its temp range (22 deg). I'll have a look tomorrow, and try a hydrometer reading, and decide whether to pitch some more yeast. Which is something I've never had occasion to do before.

I should known it was an omen when I forgot the oats in this oatmeal stout! asad.

Half-way through the hop boil when I noticed them sitting the worktop! What to do? I decided to turn off the boil, bung the oats in a bag, and bung them in and leave them to steep for an hour or so. That might not do much, but the idea of boiling the oats with the hops just seemed wrong, somehow.

Anyway, two days later, the yeast looks remarkably un-vigorous. Admittedly, because of the ambient temp, it is at the top end of its temp range (22 deg). I'll have a look tomorrow, and try a hydrometer reading, and decide whether to pitch some more yeast. Which is something I've never had occasion to do before.
🤞 It works out ok. Out of interest, which yeast did you use? My next brew will be the oatmeal stout in the GW book. My local home brew shop suggested I try Munton's Premium Gold. I haven't used this before, and presume it will be fine, but happy to try something else. 🍻

I used MJ M15, as per the original post. I have made oatmeal stout pretty satisfactorily (from a different recipe) before. Usually I use US-05 (perhaps a bit more temperature tolerant?), but thought it best to stick with the original recommendation here.

I used MJ M15, as per the original post. I have made oatmeal stout pretty satisfactorily (from a different recipe) before. Usually I use US-05 (perhaps a bit more temperature tolerant?), but thought it best to stick with the original recommendation here.
Thx. I have a US-05 knocking about as well. Have to get some more MO before brewing so may see if they have MJ M15 as well.

I fear I may have made a bit of a mess of this. I racked it off into demi-johns this morning; I thought it best to get it under a fermentation lock ASAP. Hydrometer reading was about 1018, so it is heading in the right direction, at least.

I had half a packet of US-05 in the fridge, and decided to split that between the two demi-johns to see if that sparks a bit more life. It's a last-ditch shot; i have never added a second dose of yeast before.

So bottled yesterday with half a teaspoonof suger per 500ml bottle. FG was 1022 giving an abv of 3.94% which I'm fine with, good session beer. Came out pretty clear and smooth so fingers crossed. Gonna sit in the spare room for two weeks, then the shed for anther two before I crack one open.

Back