Oatmeal Stout after dry hopping experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
My second AG attempt was another Craftybrew 1 Gallon kit from Brew UK.

I made quite a few mistakes during this brew, including accidentally putting the gas on during the mash and raising the temperature to about 80C!

Then after a couple of weeks in the FV, there was very little sign of fermentation. Some of the experienced members here suggested it was likely due to a lack of oxygen before pitching the Yeast, which was most likely the cause.

After 3 weeks, there was still very little going on. MyQul suggested dry hopping to somehow kickstart some fermentation. With nothing to lose I did this, as well as pitching the second half of the S-04 Yeast. I also did something which might be considered Beeracide! With nothing to lose, I whisked the hell out of the wort, creating a hell of a froth and risking the wrath of the oxygenation gods :twisted::nono:

Nothing really happened after that, in honesty, so I'm not sure if any other fermentation went on, so after 4 weeks in the fv I was in a dilemma! The impetuous child in me wanted to just chuck the stuff down the drain as a lost cause, however, I held myself back and decided to bottle anyway.

Keeping with the slack rule breaking method, I simply poured the 5 litres through a sieve into a sanitised FV. I forgot to put the dissolved priming solution in first, so I just tipped this on top and gave a swirl, introducing a few more bubbles (what the heck!!)

Bottled on 23rd September, I cracked a bottle open last night. Very nice too. Not quite as sparkling as my IPA, but no hint of off flavours. I'm guessing that a Stout would probably hide any potential off flavours quite well, but I can't detect any cardboard flavour connected with oxygenation. This might change over time, but I've only got another 6 bottles left, so I don't think that's going to be a problem!

IMG_20151002_201651.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks good mate and as long as its tastes good that's the main thing. I wouldn't say stout hides the off flavours as some of mine went down the sink. :)
Love those bottles, need to get more.

Cheers. I can only assume the Beer Gods are being gentle with a newby! Yeah, the flip top bottles are great. Expensive, yes, but worth it IMHO.

Did you take hydrometer readings?

No. Simply because I found out the 5 litre fv tubs are just too shallow to take a hydrometer reading. I won't be using them again for anything other than storing some stuff. The best I could do was take a refractometer reading, which didn't move for the last week of its 4 week fermentation.

The Stove topper kits are great as an introduction and I'd recommend them as it's all there for a newby AG brewer, but already I've decided 5 litres is too short a brew and the World of tweakable recipes is out there.

I see. Obviously, sg readings tell you if fermentation is progressing. And when it's finished. What volume are you going to make?

I see. Obviously, sg readings tell you if fermentation is progressing. And when it's finished. What volume are you going to make?

It's all done now. Came out at about 4.5 litres. All in bottles tucked away in a cupboard safely away from harm. I was going to put them in PET bottles, but I've had so much hassle with them I risked some well protected glass bottles.

I meant what volume are you going to make in future?

I'm going to work through a few Greg Hughes recipes from his Home Brew Beer book for the next few brews and basically half the original recipes to 11.5 litres.

Good call - I have settled down to making batches around 10 litres - I have a few 10 litre buckets that I picked up free, and I find it's a good amount to make. I'm not a big drinker, but 5L is never enough.

Good call - I have settled down to making batches around 10 litres - I have a few 10 litre buckets that I picked up free, and I find it's a good amount to make. I'm not a big drinker, but 5L is never enough.

Agreed. I'm glad I did the small batches, just to give me the experience, but 5 litres is just a little on the low side for the effort. 11.5 is fine for me as I'm the only Beer drinker in the House and 2 or 3 pints in one sitting is enough to put me to sleep these days :-D

Back