OG reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heagney

Reaction score
Hi Folks. So brewed for the 2nd time yesterday and recorded readings to help understand my brew efficiency etc.
My OG reading was 1.070 but there was a lot of trub in the vessel, I would imagine this will give me a false reading? Do you tend to siphon your wart into the fermenter to leave as much trub as possible? Looking at everything in my fermenter, if I did this I’d have barely any wert left :confused:

The trub will compact down. Some people try to Syphon it off others tip it in. I always transfer some. As said how much kg of grain Vs volume will give you an idea of of, depending on efficiency.

There was 4.75L in the boil with 1kg pale and 200g light crystal. Also had 30g citra. True Seems to be mostly made up of hops?
No bag used I just sieve multiple times after the boils with 2 fine sieves

So will my reading be correct? I made sure the test sample was 20c before using the hydrometer. I was aiming for 1.050 ish but maybe my efficiency rating is out?

The forum calculator give og 1070 for your listed ingredients for a boil size of 4.75 and a batch size of 4. The fg is 1018...quite high because of the high amount of crystal,6.9% abv.

Latest posts

Back