OG too low ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisb2k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I just knocked up an Irish Velvet stout from a tin. I did everything by the book (ie the little 2 inch square bit of paper that came with the yeast sachet) but my OG came out at 1030. Is this right ? it seems very low compared to what I've seen. Anyway I put the yeast in at 22C so I guess I'll have to wait and see what occurs :)

Chris

That does seem a little low (forgive me, I haven't done an extract brew in a long time). What quantity was expected and what quantity did you arrive at?

Also make sure you have given it a dam good stir right to the bottom as the heavier sugars will sink to the bottom if not full dissolved :thumb:

Have to ask, did you add the 1kg of sugar? a 1.8kg can will get about 1030 in 20litres the rest is made up by the sugar

Yep I added the sugar and I'm sure I gave it a proper stir but maybe I wasn't vigorous enough with it. I'm not sure what it should have been but I was expecting 1040+. I suppose it's too late to think about stirring it again and taking another reading as it's already started fermenting ... ? :(

If the destructions called for the can and kilo of sugar and you put them in, then don't worry.

As others have stated its likely some of the sugars fell to the bottom, the yeast will still get to this stuff.

Its best to give your brew a damn sound thrashing when the FV is about 2/3 full, getting it really well mixed and aerated but its not the end of the world if you don't, it just takes a little bit longer for the yeast to settle in.

You mixed the tin of goo and sugar in ................ what volume?? Naturally gravity varies depending upon the volume.............more water, lower gravity!!

Cheers,

Screwy

I would also have expected 1.040+ so I will back the ‘didn't stir properly’ theory.

When you mix everything up it should be stirred thoroughly and beaten until it's frothy to get oxgen into the wort and help the little yeasties to establish a healthy colony.

If they have already started work, there's a good chance that if you try to stir vigorously you will end up with half a bucketful all over the floor, so just take a (sterilised) long-handled (plastic or stainless) spoon and stir gently from the bottom of the FV.

It'll be fine :thumb:

Volumes: Contents of the tin is 1.8Kg so 1.8 litres. 2.25 litres of boiling water added to this. 1Kg sugar. Mixed this all in good and proper and added water up to the 25litre mark.

This is where my stirring may have been a little on the airy fairy side. I don't have a long handled spoon, well not long enough to reach the bottom of the fermenting bin, so I probably just mixed the top half thoroughly and left concentrated stuff in the bottom

I'll go and find a long spoon from somewhere or lash a couple together ...

Thanks all very much for the replies - much appreciated :)

I had the same problem with my Wherry. What I called a dam good stir wasn't :rofl: . If this is a kit brew then dont most kits make up to 23lts not 25???????. That could account for log gravity.

chrisb2k said:
I'll go and find a long spoon from somewhere or lash a couple together ...
Just make sure that everything is washed and sterilised. Failing that, wash your hands well with an antibacterial and scrub your nails, then you can go in up to the wrist and use a standard spoon.

For a kit brew, 25 litres is way too wet, you'd do better by stopping short at 20-21 litres.

Don't worry, your brew will be drinkable and it's all part of the learning process.

snail59 said:
I had the same problem with my Wherry. What I called a dam good stir wasn't :rofl: . If this is a kit brew then dont most kits make up to 23lts not 25???????. That could account for log gravity.

Yep you're right - just read my bit of paper again and it's 23l !

I think a combination of too much water and feeble stirring has led me to this pass :? Fortunately I also have a Coopers European lager to try after this so I'll try again. My aim is to get some of these kits just right then move onto the more involved stuff.

Thanks again all!

Unless you've already got one of these in your kitchen:
PB10061907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back