Am I doing anything wrong? Or am I overthinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneBev

Reaction score
HI All,
Sorry, this is my first ever brew and I might be panicking for nothing?
I purchased the "Love Brewing" Starter kit which comes with a KK and all the goodies needed. I chose the Beerworks Golden Rocket IPA kit.
Right I did everything to the letter in terms of the instructions, Correct temperature, sanitised all equipment etc (when I put the yeast packet in I stirred it a bit) OG was 1058 (Not checked it since) It's been sat in a room with a constant temp of 22c-23c This is day 3.
My worry is that I have not had any bubbles / activity at all in the airlock. If I press the lid slightly the water rises etc in the bulb. I have not opened the bucket but I can see about an inch of foam on top of the brew from outside and looking at the bottom of the bucket it looks like there is about an inch or so of what looks like sediment?
I guess im just concerned that I haven't seen much activity... I am due to drop the hops in on Thursday, is there anything I should be doing differently?
Thanks for your help in advance :)

How much headspace you have in the bucket? I would leave it alone for a week or so and take a sample then.

Hi Wayne, my guess is that you may not have the lid fully sealed as well, so the gas maybe escaping from the side. Sounds like fermentation is happening with the foam. Try not to worry, sounds like things are happening. You could take a gravity reading on Thursday when you open up fir the hops. 👍

HI All,
Sorry, this is my first ever brew and I might be panicking for nothing?
I purchased the "Love Brewing" Starter kit which comes with a KK and all the goodies needed. I chose the Beerworks Golden Rocket IPA kit.
Right I did everything to the letter in terms of the instructions, Correct temperature, sanitised all equipment etc (when I put the yeast packet in I stirred it a bit) OG was 1058 (Not checked it since) It's been sat in a room with a constant temp of 22c-23c This is day 3.
My worry is that I have not had any bubbles / activity at all in the airlock. If I press the lid slightly the water rises etc in the bulb. I have not opened the bucket but I can see about an inch of foam on top of the brew from outside and looking at the bottom of the bucket it looks like there is about an inch or so of what looks like sediment?
I guess im just concerned that I haven't seen much activity... I am due to drop the hops in on Thursday, is there anything I should be doing differently?
Thanks for your help in advance :)
It all sounds that everything is doing exactly as it should ,you have a healthy krausen on the top of your beer ,so all is good .A lot of us don't bother with a airlock and just leave a bit of the lid not clipped down so the Co2 can escape .

Hi Wayne, my guess is that you may not have the lid fully sealed as well, so the gas maybe escaping from the side. Sounds like fermentation is happening with the foam. Try not to worry, sounds like things are happening. You could take a gravity reading on Thursday when you open up fir the hops. 👍
Thanks, yes I was thinking of doing a gravity reading on Thursday, Thanks... I really want it to work hahah.

It all sounds that everything is doing exactly as it should ,you have a healthy krausen on the top of your beer ,so all is good .A lot of us don't bother with a airlock and just leave a bit of the lid not clipped down so the Co2 can escape .
Great thanks for the info... I literally know nothing about brewing but I am keen to learn!

Don't worry about the lack of airlock activity, I don't get any through mine. As long as you've got foaming (krausen) at the top, the yeast is doing its thing.

No problem. If it's any help, I leave stuff in the FV for 2 or 3 weeks, all done by then, but a hydrometer reading will tell you 👍

Just a quick update, added the hops this evening and did a Hydrometer reading OG was 1058 now 1020 5 days later so I think it's fine?
Golden Rocket.jpg

Latest posts

Back